A Talk///Oneshot///Angst-Fluff

Characters:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower

Trigger Warnings: Mentions of suicidal thoughts and bullying

AU: Sonic Frontiers

"What're you doing out here?" Sonic asked, making the Fox nearby jump. The latter looked over to the Hedgehog from his spot on the ground. The night sky's stars were reflected dimly his light blue eyes.

Tails shrugged a little. "I'm just thinking." He mumbled. Sonic sat next to him, making Tails' namesake swish in something that seemed like comfort. The two stared up at the stars for a moment or two, noting how Ursa Major stood out just slightly.

Sonic looked over to his brother. "Is everything alright?"

The Fox sighed. He knew he wouldn't be able to hide what was going on in his mind from Sonic much longer. His older brother might've been impulsive and rambunctious at times, but he knew Tails. And he was sure that Sonic had noticed how quiet he seemed to be, or how he avoided talking about Cyberspace when anyone - even the Hedgehog - brought it up. Sonic just knew him too well for him to keep it all a secret for too long.

"I've... been thinking about something that happening in Cyberspace." Tails leaned back, laying on his back on the grass. Sonic looked at him curiously, as if asking him to elaborate. Tails continued. "That place felt... invasive to my mind. Like, it was digging through memories and thoughts." He shifted in discomfort.

The Hedgehog rolled onto his stomach, looking at his brother. "You don't have to talk if you don't want to." He assured. Tails shook his head, indicating that he'd be okay.

The Fox held onto one of his tails, running his fingers through its fur. "I kept hearing these... voices in my head, or seeing other versions of myself. They ke- they kept-" He paused for a moment, wincing at the memory. "They were saying things that my bullies said."

Sonic looked at Tails with worry. He knew how much the kit's former tormentors had affected him- primarily in the self-esteem category. He tended to dwell on moments that reminded him of their words, or shut down at moments that triggered him. Sonic did his best to understand, though he knew there were still things that Tails hadn't told him.

"I know- and I know-" Tails choked on his words, tears burning the back of his eyes. "I shouldn't have listened to them, but- they were just- they- the other me's just kept saying it and- it felt like they were... right?"

"They weren't." Sonic responded. Tails looked at him in surprise, taken aback be the firmness in his voice. The Hedgehog pushed himself into a sitting position, looking down at his brother. "Listen, lil bro. I love you, but you couldn't be more wrong. What those kids said to you - all of it - was wrong. You're amazing and wonderful, and you deserve so much more than what the world set you with."

Sonic pulled his brother up, looking the younger in the eyes. "Trust me when I tell you, that I'm going to do everything I can to make our lives the greatest. If anyone tries hurting you like they hurt did, they're gonna need to have words with me."

Tails seemed to practically crumple forward, slumping onto his brother's chest. An odd sound came from his throat- a mix between a laugh and a cry. Sonic carefully wrapped his arms around the kit, hugging him carefully.

The younger began ranting on, telling Sonic about the things to visions said to him, the insults and degradation, and the fear that had been burning his chest- crushing his ribs. Before he even knew it, he was telling his brother about the thoughts that had been plaguing his mind, that the visions had encouraged.

They'd told him that everyone hated him.

That he should've died when his bullies attacked him.

That no one - not even Sonic - wanted him.

That he was pitiful for all his fears and terrors.

The he should just curl up and die.

He wanted to. But at the same time, the idea terrified him.

All he wanted was his brother. He just wanted to feel safe.

And Cyberspace felt so lonely.
So crushing.
So deafeningly hateful.
So very terrifying.
So mocking of the real thoughts that burned his mind.

And Sonic listened, holding and rocking his brother close as he sobbed.

He didn't quite know what to say, but he refused to leave his brother's side.

Soon, Tails had quieted. Sonic pressed his forehead to the youngers. "I'm right here, I promise. You're never going to be alone again." The Hedgehog whispered. The Fox choked down another sob, holding onto his brother.

By Chaos, even if he had to fight the whole world with his bare hands, no one was hurting his brother like so many had before.

The stars seemed to understand the message, shining brightly on the brothers. They illuminated in Sonic's jade eyes. He sighed a bit, looking down at Tails. He was asleep.

So, Sonic stayed there on the ground. He didn't move, as to not disturb the precious Mobian in his arms.