The Fox of the Forbidden///No Place Interpretation Part 1

(A/N: Basically the No Place AU from Sonic Prime but without the show's plot)

Miles Prower's parents didn't abandon him- despite what the kids in the village would say in their taunts. They were lost at sea when he was five.

By Gaia, he missed them.

Still, there was nothing he could do. There was no one to look after him, and no one who wanted him anyway. He took care of himself, as he had when his parents were lost. And this town was nowhere near forgiving to him.

A freak, as they called him.

This village was Tartarus, and he'd plunged right into its pit.

~~~

"This be me house!" Miles demanded, his voice hoarse from yelling. "Home!" He was on the verge of tears.

The hybrid- the adult in front of him shook his head. "I'm afraid it isn't anymore." He said. The Fox choked down a sob in his throat. "There's no legal owner, you cannot live here anymore."

Miles stepped forward, his hands shaking. "No! This be where me parents lived! Ye cannot take it away!" He cried out.

"Your parents are dead." The person said. "You will not be able to live here anymore." He repeated. The Fox, unable to make words that expressed his anger, screamed out in incoherent rage. The adult cringed a bit, almost annoyed. "Please collect your things, Prower."

Well, he didn't have much of a choice. So, he gathered what little things he had and went off. The streets were cool and the evening air refreshing, but his boiling anger refused to let him enjoy it.

A voice he really did NOT want to hear came from behind him. "Hey, Miles, where are you going?" The Fox hissed under his breath, the furious need to cry burned his eyes.

"I'm not in the mood for ye foolery." He spat, glaring at the bully. Miles knew he didn't care though, why would he?
He deserved this, according to them.

The bully grabbed his shoulder, pulling the Fox back. "Really? I don't remember asking." He said. As much as Miles tried pulling his shoulder away, his tormentor refused to let him go. "Kicked outta that house of yours, I see?" He asked, his nails digging into the kid.

Miles growled, resisting the urge to bite him. "Well, ye better-"

That was when the bell was heard.

The bully cursed under his breath and let go of Miles' shoulder. He ran off, leaving the Fox alone in the streets. Miles looked around, watching as doors closed and shutters were locked. That bell meant that pirates were near the island. A warning to get inside and hide.
Lest be killed by the merciless thieves.

The Fox stared ahead where the sea was, watching the ship that had alerted the village approach. He sighed. There was no house for him to hide. And he had something that greedy thieves might want- something he wasn't letting go of.

His hand clutched around the necklace that hung around his neck. The one his mother always wore. She'd left it with him to keep safe before she left. He wasn't going to lose it.

He paused. An amusing thought came to him. Maybe they'd let him join their crew. He laughed. He was a seven-year-old freak of nature. Who'd want that on their crew?
They'd either let him join or kill him on the spot.
Either option would free him from this village, he considered. It wasn't like he had anything here.

So, Miles went to the dock.

The ship there was red and green, with sails that rippled in the wind. He stared for a moment, admiring it. He hadn't seen a ship this close since he was five. He smiled faintly, stepping closer. "Amazing..." He whispered.

"Avast!" A voice came from above. He jumped and looked up. Two people were standing on the ship's deck, looking down at him. A pink-haired Hedgehog with jade eyes, and a red-haired Echidna (Miles admitted that he stared- he thought that all Echidnas had died.) with violet eyes. "What are ye doing so close to the Angel's Voyage?" The Echidna demanded.

Miles sputtered a bit, glancing away anxiously. "I want to join."

The Hedgehog furrowed her eyebrows. "How old are ye?"

"Seven," the Fox shrugged.

She stared at him in confusion for a bit. "Wha- why- Where are ye parents? Why are ye all alone?" Miles shifted uncomfortably.

"Lost at sea." He said bluntly. The Hedgehog's gaze softened in sympathy. The Echidna winced just slightly. "I want off this island. It be Tartarus." He continued. "I can build." He fumbled with his bag and took out a small machine. It buzzed, the small propeller whirling and lifting it off his hand and to the two hybrids above him. "I'll do repairs. Build ye weapons. Anything I got the ability to do, I'll do it."

The Hedgehog looked over the Echidna, nodding at Miles. "C'mon. It be just us two. What would it cost us to bring the lad?" She asked. He considered it for a moment, then nodded back. The girl smiled, looking back to the Fox. "Well, what are ye waiting for? Climb aboard."

Miles' heart shuddered for a moment, smiling. He grabbed onto a nearby rope and climbed onto the deck. He grabbed the machine from out of the sky and put it back into his bag. He looked at the two teens in front of him.

"Me name's Black Rose and the Echidna's is Knuckles the Dread." The Hedgehog said, holding out her hand. "And yours?"

"Miles." He said, shaking her hand.

"I haven't ever seen a Fox with two tails." Knuckles the Dread said, glancing at Miles' twin-tails. Miles flushed nervously. "They're quite interesting." The Fox was relieved at the lack of insults or quips.