...Papyrus.

It was heavy. The sword was so heavy it hurt your shoulders. They ached in protest, practically begging you to put down the sword and rest. Your stomach ached, the muscles that would be your abs being far overworked than what was normal. Your legs hurt from standing and dodging. Your feet hurt from the cold and uneven terrain. Your arms hurt from swinging that damned heavy longsword. Your eyes hurt from every small particle of dust from the monsters you'd so mercilessly slain. You could still hear their final shrieks, words, prayers, swears, and sobs. You could remember every monster you killed in order.

You were a murderer. No better than some of the worst in history. Worse than Robert Pickton. Worse than Aileen Wuornos. Worse than Ivan Milat. Worse than even Issei Sagawa.

Worse than some of the most prolific serial killers known to mankind.

You were a disgusting human, one who deserved nothing but death and torment. Hell, death was probably too good for you at this point. How were you supposed to tell Dust? Or Sans and Papyrus? Aliza? Could you tell them anything about how you struck down innocent monsters for no reason other than "because Error said so"? You weren't deserving of them. You weren't deserving of such gentle monsters, such a gentle human. No, you piece of shit, you deserve to be hurt. Hurt in ways that you hurt others. Torn limb from limb, slashed down "just because" in justice for the murder. You heartless, soulless bastard. You should just kill yourse-

I woke up with a small gasp, sweat causing my clothes to stick to my skin. Dust groaned from beside me, his arm laying on my lap, moved from where it had laid across my torso. "...(Y/N)..? You okay..?" I nodded, holding my throat and trying to swallow. My mouth was too dry, I needed some water...Dust slowly sat up beside me, rubbing his eye sockets and yawning. "Did you sleep well..?" I blinked and forced myself to swallow again, nodding. "Yeah...you?" Dust nodded, gently touching his teeth to my cheek. He seemed none the wiser to my distressed state, which either said something about him being super fucking unobservant, super fucking tired, or me just being really good at hiding my sweaty and panicked ass.

I slowly shifted out of the bed, stretching my arms above my head and getting on my tip toes for that good, whole body stretch. Dust hummed in what I guessed was confusion, so I explained my throat was a little dry. "Oh, um...want me to come get food with you? We can grab a snack and...come back here to talk?" I nodded, watching Dust sleepily get out of bed and come to my side. His bony hand worked its way into mine effortlessly, our fingers entangling together like it was second nature. We walked to the kitchen, Dust soon moving to drape his arms around my waist and rest his chin on my shoulders. His hands traced gentle patterns into my stomach as I opened some PopTart packages and put them into the toaster.

He hummed quietly to himself, a slow tune he seemed to find relaxing. I found my eyelids slowly shutting as he hummed, the soft vibrations of his neck against my shoulder soothing...Dust nudged me gently, his hums coming to a stop. "Don't fall asleep on me, (Y/N)..." I nodded, shaking my head minutely and getting the first two PoptTarts on a plate. "Sorry, it's just...really relaxing," I admitted quietly. Dust nodded, swallowing thickly before speaking in a somewhat pained tone. "It's my brother's theme...I just slowed it down." "What's a theme..?" Dust inhaled and thought on it for a moment before shrugging, explaining that I should ask Sans or even Nightmare for a better explanation. I decided to ask Error next time I saw him for training.

The memory of the last "training session" flashed in my mind, my body tensing involuntarily. Dust asked me if everything was alright, but I just...ignored him and put the other two PopTarts on the plate. "(Y/N)...talk to me." "I...I'm fine Dust, really...can we just go back to the bedroom and talk about what you- what you wanted?" Dust sighed and stood straight, going into the fridge and grabbing some sweet tea. He got some glasses with blue magic and poured two glasses. When I gave him a confused look, he returned it. "Didn't you say your throat was dry?" "Oh- yeah, thank you..." Dust nodded and put the pitcher of tea away, bringing the glasses to my room while I followed behind with the plate of PopTarts.

Dust and I got settled into bed, the other playing with his hands silently for a bit before he spoke. "You know about AUs, right?" Dust continued without my response, which was good considering I was eating a PopTart already. "Well in...mine, I had a Papyrus. Not- not like Crooks, but...fuck- I'll have Boss show you Undertale sometime...but I had a Papyrus, my brother...I..." Dust rubbed his forehead with the ball of his hand, sighing. "There was a human that fell. They...they killed everyone, (Y/N). And then when everyone was dead, they'd reset and do it all over again. They'd just keep killing everyone over and over and I- I lost track after a while."

"It wasn't that I didn't care, I'd just given up...I just didn't know what to do...then I..." Dust glanced at me, his hands twitching almost violently. I put the plate down and took his hands into mine, the twitching stopping as he focused on our hands together. "I...please don't hate me?" "I could never hate you, Dust..." He nodded again, swallowing. His voice was brought down to a whisper. "I-I started...killing them...trying to give them merciful deaths so the human couldn't...hurt them. I-I killed my brother, (Y/N)...I cut his head clean fucking off and-!" I flinched when his voice suddenly got louder, something that seemed to frighten him into silence. "Sorry, keep going, Dust..."

"I...he's still with me, but no one believes me...I see and hear him but nobody else does and they think I'm crazy...h-he really likes you...I think...I dunno. I- I just thought you deserved to know...that I'm kinda insane and- and I've done a lot of really bad things." I nodded slowly, taking the information in. I slowly let go of Dust's hands, his eye lights shrinking to pin pricks and his mouth falling open to speak, but I quickly shushed him by pulling him into a gentle hug with my arms around his chest. "That's in the past, Dust...I don't think you're crazy, not one bit...and I don't like you any less because you made bad decisions in the past...okay?" Dust nodded, tearfully telling me that...

"I love you, (Y/N)."

Date: 4/2/24 00:46

Word Count: 1127