4 Monnys Home

I turned into the dirt driveway of my childhood home. I had the radio on really loud and the windows down but I turned the volume down as I neared the house. It stood there unchanged as when I left, except new chairs on the porch and yellow cushions instead of blue. Mom must be trying to use bright colors to change the mood of the house.
There's a green truck I don't recognize parked under the peach trees shade. My passenger Anthony said "dang that truck is clean." He is a good mechanic I met in the field, he got laid off and wants to have a change of scenery so I told him he could come back with me and work for my family until he got a better job offer. I had talked to mom about it on the phone and she said my sister and bother could use the help and maybe he could teach Andy something too.
I asked about Cody, she told me he was working himself to death. I knew this wouldn't be easy on him nothing ever was. I wanted to be here for my mom and dad just as much as I wanted to be here for Cody and the farm. It was time I stepped up and into my place here and I knew that.
I parked up by the porch and I heard the screen door creak open and slam and my momma was hurrying over to me arms wide for a hug. She wrapped them over my shoulders and around my neck nearly choking me out. With her face next to mine she said "oh girl I've missed you, I'm so glad your back."
I hugged her back gently, worried I'd break her if I squeezed too hard. She was solid but still thin, her apron made her seem to have more weight than she did. I'm anxious to see my dad but so greatful my moma is so happy and not as solemn as I was worried she would be.
The door creaked and shut quietly, I looked up to see a taller version of my brown haired and green eyed friend. He had a worn button down and blue jeans. Sleeves rolled up and 2 buttons undone at the collar, a silver rope like chain around his neck and he grew a beard. I had no idea he could grow one, I thought he would be baby faced forever.
"Hey stranger" Cody said
His voice is different from last time, he's really matured, come into his own, more confident and hardened from time. Momma let's me go and I hop on the porch and hug Cody as tight as I wanted to hug momma. He groans like I tried to kill him and said "your gonna break me in half chickadee" he squeezes me back until I crack a laugh. He smells the same as when I left but a but more citrus with the smoky smell. He must have been burning brush today, I miss our talks by the fire.
He lightly pushes some space between us and says "your thin as bones let's get some food in both of you, come in and sit down. Anthony do you want a beer? What do you drink?" Anthony replies "do you have Miller?" Cody, "yep in the garage fridge I'll grab one be back in a minute." Cody go's back out the front door to the garage across the side walk.
Momma turns to me and tells me "we didn't expect you to get back today we thought you would get a hotel for one or two nights on your way. Cody talked about wanting to shave and look nice for you tonight." I gave a shocked reaction and said "shave it?! But it's cute, at least clean it up but don't shave it all off. It had to of took him a while to grow it." We sat down at the round dining table and Anthony settled in his chair and Cody returned with 4 beers and sat in the seat next to me.
Cody twisted the cap open for me and sat mine next to his infront of him and sat everyone elses drinks right by their hands. He then leaned over to me and put his hand around the back leg of my chair and dragged me and the chair right next to him so our arms were touching. He looked so calm and didn't look away from my eyes and asked me "so who have you brought with ya?"
I took a second to settle the blush I felt showing in my cheeks so I could respond, "I'm sorry I forgot to introduce Anthony, he's my colleague at my company we worked on a waste water facility together. He's been laid off so I offered him work here he's a great mechanic." Anthony stood and took one step closer and shook Cody's hand firmly "its a pleasure to meet you sir, Hanna montana here talks about your Tom foolary all the time on the clock."
Cody gave him a half smile but didn't stand up to shake his hand back, instead he looked back at me and said "oh does she? I thought we taught her better than to yap when she should be working." I hunched over and put my head down avoiding the eye contact, momma giggled "sounds just like her if you ask me."