5 Cody Gets Cornered

Montana is home, she wanted to take the farm truck around the property to see everything we talked about in our letters. What field got flooded, the tree that fell on the bridge, and one of the 5 sheds that burned down. We were laying on the hay bails and watching clouds when I became impatient and wanted to ask more of her "are you ready for a husband?" She laughed "offering yourself to your majesty already?" I sigh "ma lady... I am just wondering if your here to settle down and take over or if your just passing through." She rolls over towards me so she's laying next to my side, "I'm staying Cody, I'm not going to leave you, mom or dad again."
Once again she answers but not the question I wanted answered. I felt a little choked up from the reassurance that she wouldnt leave me again but I pushed my hat over my eyes more like the sun was bothering me. I still feel so weak compared to her, she's always strong, does what needs done, always. I lowered my voice a bit so I don't choke, "good to hear."
I could feel her looking at me, checking to see if i was okay. I tried to hold my breath to stay quiet, but when I felt her soft hand take my furthest wrist and pull it over her shoulder turning me to face her. Her little face nestled into my shirt and she sighed and held me to her. I took her had off and pulled her hair back and held her close. I gently combed the bits of hay from her hair as she fell asleep. The driving must have worn her out, a 15 hour drive even with a second driver is hard with no stops but gas and food.
I'm greatful for her being so tired, I can look at her as long as I want. I just want to make sure she's really the same girl who left, just older, curvy, and softer. I may still be scrawny but she has a healthy weight to her now. Must be the on the road diet she's been on, she smells different too more like vanilla perfume.
I gently wake her and she wakes up drowsy and with messy hair, with most of the straw out. I pick through the rest while she yawns and rubs her eyes. My sweet lady is so tired, I'll walk her back to the house so she can get some rest it's only 3pm but I have a feeling she will sleep till morning.
I hold her hand as I walk her through the tall grass past the sheds to where we parked the farm truck. We are by the truck when she stops walking and holds me back. I stop and turn to ask her "what's wrong?" She tells me to "sit" as she sinks to the grass to sit herself so I sit with her. Once I'm seated on the cool grass she walks on her knees over to me and lifts one leg over to straddle me between them, I rest my back against the tire of the truck as she seats herself on my lap. She takes my hat off and tosses it towards the cab door. Montana cups my face with both hands and tells me to "cry."
I couldn't help it, I looked down and began to sob. Guilt and shame washed over me as her grey shirt turned a darker shade one spot at a time and it was my fault, she pushed my hair out of my face until I rested my head against her looking down. I may have not cried at nans funeral but I was crying about it now. I wanted to be this strong presence of a man for Montana but she sees right through me she always has. I feel relief that she's here and that she still wanted to be near me like before. I should have known she wouldn't hold a grudge for my lack of responsiveness these last 3 years. I put my arms around her and with my face tucked between her neck and shoulder I tell her "don't leave me again,take me with you next time." She held me tighter and told me "I will bring you everywhere I go I promise you Cody, you will have to deal with my nonsense till you hit the grave." I chucked and looked up at her with a weak smile and she cupped my face and used her thumbs to wipe my new forming tears away and gently as she does.