Londisfarne

The whole family and even some of the labourers watched as Ragnar and Thorfinn stood across from each other in the circle. Both had an axe, sword and shield but did not wear armour; Thorfinn was nervous about fighting Ragnar as he knew he was a great warrior, even more so than Elijah. He would not cower however, he would fight until he had nothing left to give and then get up again. He would join Ragnar on his raid west, that was his fate, his blood howled out for adventure and he would not allow anything to get in his way. 'Not even Ragnar.'

"Are you sure you want to do this Thorfinn, I will not hesitate to injure you," Ragnar said as he twirled his sword in his hand.

"You will not scare me, Ragnar, even if I must swim after the boat I will be coming with you," Thorfinn said with a grin making Ragnar and the others laugh. The only one who didn't laugh was Gyda who did not want to see Thorfinn and her father fight; she had believed that they would be fighting with wooden swords, and she did not expect her father to pull an act such as this.

"Be careful Ragnar, Thorfinn looks stronger than he did before, you might regret requesting live blades," Lagertha said with a smile on her face as she watched from the edge with Bjorn and Gyda by her side. "Mother, please stop it if it goes too far," Gyda whispered.

Lagertha looked down at the worried expression on her daughter's face and gave her a reassuring smile. "Ragnar talks much, but he won't hurt Thorfinn, this is a test of more than his skill of arms," she whispered back before putting a reassuring hand on her back.

Bjorn was interested to see how much Thorfinn had improved, when he had left he was the better warrior, but that was mostly because his father trained him while Thorfinn would work in the fields. He didn't know if he believed the rumours that his Uncle Rollo had told him about Thorfinn slaying a Draugr, but he knew it was not in his nature to lie about things so he was conflicted.

"Are you ready?" Ragnar asked as he started to slam his shield with his axe.

Thorfinn nodded and began to do the same. He then charged at Ragnar, swinging his axe towards him, but Ragnar blocked him and tried to barge him away with his shield but Thorfinn slammed his shield against his. Ragnar was surprised at the strength behind Thorfinns arms as he struggled slightly to push him back, however, he eventually was able to and Ragnar went on the offensive slamming his axe into his shield and launching a kick at it sending Thorfinn stumbling back.

He managed to catch himself however and spun around swinging his axe at Ragnar who leaned out of the way and hooked Thorfinns axe with his own. He yanked it out of his hand and it flew out of his grasp onto the ground "Are you sure you did any training?" Ragnar said with a mocking grin.

Thorfinn growled before swinging his shield against Ragnar which pushed him back slightly, allowing Thorfinn to roll towards his axe just in time to block another strike from Ragnar. Thorfinn was in a bad position, he was on his knees with Ragnar pushing both his axe and shield down on him. Thinking quickly he hooked his axe behind Ragnars leg and then pulled while pushing with his shield which to everyone's surprise unbalanced Ragnar and sent him to the ground.

The crowd cheered and laughed, especially Lagertha. "I told you, Ragnar, you shouldn't have underestimated him or he might put you on your back," she said with an amused expression. Ragnar lay on the ground with a grin on his face as he chuckled to himself "It seems I was wrong to think I would be fighting a boy," he said as he stood up from the ground and looked towards Thorfinn who still stood in his stance.

Ragnar threw his shield to the ground and drew his sword. Thorfinn held firm as Ragnar started to circle him; Ragnar then rushed towards Thorfinn stepping to his left before pushing off to the side and rushing to his right, as he did he swung his sword which Thorfinn countered with his shield. Thorfinn stepped back to avoid Ragnar's axe, but it left his side exposed allowing Ragnar to spin and swing his blade towards his exposed side.