At First Sight

**These are some prequel chapters of Alex and Keira's history. I thought it would be fun to explore those memories they talk about in The General's Daughter and Princess Bride.

Keira

"Do you think other children will be there?" I asked Papa as we rode in the carriage together toward the castle. I'd only been allowed to visit a few times before, and while it was sort of exciting to think of the busyness from all the people who were there, grown ups could get pretty boring pretty quickly. So far, the only other children I'd actually met while I was at the castle were either much younger than myself or they weren't very friendly.

Well, okay. To be fair, Angelica and Victoria Hampton did try to be friendly. I think. It's just that their idea of friendship involved a lot of bragging. All they ever wanted to talk about was how many new dresses they had or their new dolls their father bought for them or all their jewelry or hair combs or lots and lots of other things I couldn't have cared less about. Mother told me I shouldn't brag, and I really didn't want to get into a contest with them, but after a while, I really wanted to tell them about some of the things I had, just to shut them up. Because, while their family was rich enough, it was no secret that mine had quite a bit more money than most. I think part of the reason they bragged so much was because they were trying to impress me.

Unfortunately, a lot of people acted that way with my family.

I might have been impressed if they actually knew how to do something interesting like climb a tree or ride a horse or how to read or paint. Or anything other than playing dress up or doing needlepoint or one of the many other incredibly boring things girls were supposed to be doing. Still, annoying as Angelica and Victoria could be, having to play with them was still better than being bored to death by all the grown up talk. I think anyway.

Papa pulled his attention from the passing scenery outside the window and focused on me. "I'm not sure," he said. "This isn't an actual event, so it's not as if there's an expectation for families to be present. I do think it's likely that some of the other men would bring their children along the way I'm bringing you. The king wants us to feel free to do that on occasion."

It wasn't a definite answer, but with a glance out the window, I realized I'd find out soon enough. Our carriage had just gone through the main castle gate.

"Actually, I think I remember Lord Hampton saying he intended to bring his girls today. They're about your age, I believe."

I fought a groan. "Angelica's a little older. She's ten, but Victoria is eight, like me."

Papa nodded and glanced out the window, noticing that we were nearly there. "It's good that you'll have some playmates," he said. "The prince should be present as well."

I didn't mean to, but at the mention of Prince Alexander, I couldn't help making a face. Papa glanced at me before I could hide it.

"I hope I don't have to remind you to be polite, Keira," he said sternly.

"No, Papa." I sighed.

"It's especially important with the royal family. Do you understand?"

I hadn't been planning to be rude, but even if I wanted to be, I wouldn't risk getting Papa in trouble. "Yes. I'll be polite."

He watched me dubiously. Maybe he was wondering if I could be well behaved enough for this privilege. To be honest, I didn't have the best track record with being good. I never meant to be bad, but sometimes I couldn't help it.

"I promise," I added as the carriage drew to a stop. Papa accepted my word, but it might have just been because he had no choice since it's not like we could just turn around and leave. I made up my mind to be extra good though.