Chapter 5

One of the things I enjoyed best was getting to sit in the Great Hall as the king heard various concerns of the people. There were many disputes concerning property and vague areas of agreements or contracts. Sometimes people simply wished to speak with the king regarding business propositions or more personal matters. Usually, nothing was very interesting, but I loved the times that I was able to sit in the reserved area for the queen and other women, because in addition to taking a break from Roberta's near-constant criticism, I got to see Alex a little more. Papa was also present most of the time, and being able to see him was becoming a rare treat.

It was also nice that I was largely ignored while I was there. In that crowded room, I wasn't even close to the most important person, and so everyone's attention was focused elsewhere. Well, all except Alex. He was very involved in what was happening, but he still managed to send me the occasional smile or wink.

As we neared the end of the session, Alex discretely mimed opening a book, silently asking if I wanted to meet in our secret room, once this was over.

With a smile, I nodded, and Alex turned his attention to the two men who were standing before the king.

"He attacked me, Your Highness," the one man said. "In front of several witnesses."

I was suddenly very interested in whatever this conflict was about. The man was clearly of the upper class, and the man he was accusing looked like a middle-class business man. It was rare enough to have a public dispute between men of different classes, but to hear that the man from the lower class had gotten violent was almost unheard of. The penalty for such things was high, and many times, those in the middle and lower classes couldn't afford it.

The king looked at the other man. "Is what he says, true?"

"It is, Your Majesty," was all the man said.

Everyone including the king, looked surprised.

"Are you aware of the penalty for your actions?" the king asked.

"I am, Sire."

Whatever his motivation, I thought this man was very brave. He remained respectful to the king, but was almost brazen otherwise. It was as if he was proud of what he'd done.

"Then I'm curious as to what would prompt you to take those actions," the king said.

He was brave and smart, I realized. If he'd tried to deny it, the king would have focused on punishing him, since apparently there were witnesses. But since he admitted it, seemingly without fear, the king was interested enough to give him a chance to explain.

"He attacked my daughter, Sire." The man raised his chin. "Forced himself on her and left her with child. She had planned to marry and now no one will have her. This man ruined her life."

Shocked gasps followed the accusation and I stared, appalled at the other man. I knew first-hand how terrifying that situation could be, but unlike that poor girl, I'd been lucky enough to escape.

To make matters worse, that horrible man didn't seem ashamed in the least. He was proud of himself. If I had to guess, I'd say it wasn't the first time and likely wouldn't be the last.

The king stared solemnly at both men before he spoke again.

"Is that true?" he asked the first man.

The vile man smiled and shook his head as if he was about to share some amusing anecdote. My stomach turned.

"I may have...spent some time with the girl," he said, "But I certainly never did what this man says. I'm sure he is upset. Any man would be to learn that his daughter has such...unbridled character, but you cannot blame me for taking what was offered."