Chapter 13

A few days after the wedding, my worries seemed incredibly silly. The ones concerning my time alone with Alex, at least.

I hadn't exactly loved it at first, but I didn't completely hate it either. Once I got past the pain and awkwardness of it all, I actually did like it. Or, I suppose it's more accurate to say that I liked the benefits of it. I loved that I was able to grow closer to Alex and get to know him in a whole new way. Being able to please him wasn't terrible either. And it was very nice not to feel so embarrassed anymore. I'd even been brave enough to wear a few of my bridal shower gifts, though only the least scandalous ones.

Alex kept asking about the pink one, but I'd refused. If that was ever going to happen, it would have to be as some type of incentive for him. Which wasn't a bad thing to have on hand actually.

After a week, I felt like I was in Heaven. Alex and I got to spend almost every second together and, amazingly, I really was starting to enjoy our more intimate time together. Mother had said that wouldn't happen for a while - she certainly meant longer than a week. But maybe because Alex and I were so close already, it was better for us. We didn't have to wait to get to know one another or figure out those little signals that all married couples eventually had. We'd already had them for years. We could read each other's faces and body language the way some married couples never could because they never cared to.

All in all, I was very happy with married life so far and I dreaded the day that this wonderful little seclusion of ours would end.

It wasn't very practical for Alex and I to go anywhere for a honeymoon and so we were allowed to remain relatively undisturbed in our wing of the castle. For now anyway. I got a bad feeling about the reason Alex was currently scowling down at the paper that had been delivered a few moments ago.

"What is it?" I asked.

Alex heaved an irritated sigh. "It seems as though the world is going to end without my presence." He rolled his eyes.

"You have to resume your duties?" I guessed.

He came and flopped down on the bed beside me.

"They claim it'll only be for an hour or so," he said skeptically before giving me an apologetic glance. "I'm sorry that I won't be able to join you today."

Today we were supposed to be spending some time with my family before most of them headed for home. It was disappointing, but it wasn't his fault.

"That's alright," I said. "They'll understand."

"They'd better not be expecting me to be in a good mood," he grumbled. "I'm betting that every one of them was able to have a honeymoon longer than a week!"

"Well," I said touching his cheek. "Maybe I can do something about your mood before you have to go."

My attempt worked and he grinned before leaning in to kiss me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I assumed that I'd gotten over any embarrassment I'd felt, but on my way to meet my family, I realized that wasn't the case. It might have been if I wasn't considered property of the kingdom and therefore not entitled to privacy.

I'd just walked Alex to the conference room and began down the hall when I ran into a few of the king's advisors. Lord Frazier was the first one.

He approached and bowed as protocol dictated. "Your Highness. How lovely you look today. Let us hope you have some good news for us soon."

I smiled politely until I understood what he meant. He continued on to the conference room before he could see the blush and shock on my face.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I continued down the hall but came upon Lord Crawford and Lord Ellis.