Chapter 7

Roberta was right about one thing at least. The examination hadn't been painful. But she was dead wrong about it not being "so bad". It was horrible! The parade of men coming to gawk at me, seemed endless. Even though, logically, I knew it hadn't really lasted that long, each man seemed to take eons to confirm what I could have easily told them. But no. Even if there weren't all these rigid rules, they would never take me at my word, because I was merely a woman.

By the time they finally left me alone, I was furious. I was angry that I'd been forced into something so degrading, and without warning or support from the people I really needed. I was angry at Roberta for not even hinting at this requirement until I was trapped in the examination room. And I was angry with Alex for not cluing me in to this possibility when I agreed to marry him.

It was slightly irrational, I knew. None of it really mattered, because apparently, it would have taken place no matter what. I wasn't the first woman to have to go through it either. But it still would have been nice to be granted the consideration of being allowed to prepare myself for it, rather than being ambushed at the last second and given no alternative or even any leeway in the details. The secrecy was probably an attempt to keep me from worrying all this time, but I should have been shown the respect of deciding how to deal with it for myself.

"All finished, Miss." With a curtsy, the servant girl stepped away, indicating that the task of fastening the buttons on the back of my dress was complete.

Normally, I'd have smiled and thanked her, but at the moment, I was too angry to care about being polite to anyone. Instead, I frowned at her until she left me alone.

A moment later, Roberta entered the room again and I fixed my eyes on an empty chair off to the side.

"I know you're probably still upset," she said as she approached. "But everything is settled now. We'll begin the wedding preparations this week."

It had seemed odd that in all my time in the castle, nothing had been planned for the wedding yet. I guess they had to make sure I was acceptable first.

Angry that I hadn't thought to ask about it before, I scowled at Roberta.

She looked sympathetic. "I know this wasn't easy," she said. "But you accepted it admirably."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I demanded.

"I was ordered not to," she said. "The men who decide these things don't believe they need to share such information with you. It was also believed that you would worry too much and become distracted from your other tasks."

"I had a right to know," I said.

"I agree, but it was not my decision to make."

"Who ordered it? Did Alex-?"

"It was the king's order," she said. "I'm sure the prince had his own reasons for not informing you."

Probably those reasons involved not wanting me to worry. He meant to protect me, but it only irritated me further.

Feeling outraged all over again, I crossed my arms and looked away.

"Leave me alone."

It was strange that Roberta didn't acknowledge my wishes and go away. After a moment, I turned to her again, curious and annoyed.

"I'll let you alone in a few minutes," she said. "But there's something we need to discuss first."

I only continued to glare.

"I realize that you probably will not want to hear this now..."

"What?" I demanded impatiently.