Chapter 3

I planned to ask Alex what that had all been about, but I it was all so odd and awkward that I couldn't seem to make myself do it. But after a week, it didn't even seem important anymore. I didn't notice any other girls looking for recommendations or that strange conflict between Alex and his father. I guessed that whatever it had been about, had been resolved the day of the luncheon. Alex met me every day for lunch, and no one seemed remotely surprised about it the way they'd been that first day. I was still a little curious, but I figured if there was anything to be concerned about, Alex would tell me. At the very least, he would be acting strangely. He was completely himself though, so I put it out of my mind.

It was satisfying to realize that time was moving quickly. As I guessed, I didn't exactly enjoy my days, but they weren't so terrible either. Roberta was demanding, but she seemed to think I was doing well enough. And the constant lessons and appointments made the days simply fly by.

On the other hand, this current task that Roberta had taken on of making my movements graceful, was starting to make the day feel endless. I wasn't exactly tripping every time I moved, but gliding about the room in any capacity was beyond my abilities.

"Chin up and shoulders back," Roberta coached as I focused on moving from one end of the room to the other. "It does no good to move with grace if you do not hold yourself elegantly."

Supressing a groan, I tried to do what she said. I wouldn't have thought this would be so hard. It was only walking, for goodness sake.

"I think perhaps we will try a book on your head, after all," Roberta mused with a frown, once I reached the far wall and turned around.

A laugh from the other end of the room, startled me and made me blush.

"I think you may be wasting your time, Roberta," Alex said from the doorway. "Keira has many outstanding qualities, but moving with grace is not among them."

I crossed my arms and scowled at him.

"Have you attempted dancing yet?" He grinned.

My face felt a little more warm and I narrowed my eyes as I moved toward him. I'd been hoping to avoid having Roberta know about my lack of dancing skills for a while longer.

Roberta attempted to hide a smile and dipped into a curtsy. "Not yet, Your Highness."

He sent me a wink and then looked at Roberta again. "As much fun as I'm sure this is, I'm starving. I also happen to be dying for some time with my fiancee."

"Yes, Your Highness." Roberta nodded. With another quick curtsy, she left us alone.

"Thanks a lot," I said, when I reached his side.

Alex laughed and gave me a quick kiss. "She'd have found out sooner or later."

"I'd have preferred a little later," I grumbled before noting the small basket in his hand.

"I have a surprise," he said, in answer to the question in my eyes.

"A picnic?" I guessed, beginning to feel excited. Meals here were so formal and I still wasn't very comfortable around the rest of his family in that setting.

"Not exactly," he said mysteriously. "At least, we won't be eating on the grass."

Confused, but thrilled by whatever his surprise was, I happily took his hand as he led me away from the room.

Even though he said we weren't going to eat on the grass, I assumed we would be going outside. After all, why else would we need a basket? He could easily have one of the servants bring our lunch anywhere inside the castle. So I was further perplexed when rather than leading me toward one of the exits, he pulled me through the castle and into the library, of all places.