Chapter 21

It was almost impossible to focus on anything the following day. I hadn't been able to sleep much and all I could think about was Alex. Well, Alex and the hundred or so reminders about the need for an heir.

Suddenly I had all new worries about that. How was I going to be able to fulfill that particular obligation if Alex wouldn't even stay in the same room with me?

Somehow I was able to force enough conversations and false smiles to get through the day, and before I knew it, I was sitting at the dinner table, pretending to eat. I wasn't even sure what sort of a mood Alex was in. Unable to stand seeing that anger and hostility again, I avoided looking at him at all.

Once everyone had finished with their meals, they began to break into groups for various discussions as usual.

"What a lovely shade of blue," one of the ladies, Mrs. Sullivan said, approaching me and gesturing to my dress.

I smiled and feigned interest in the story she launched into, but after a few minutes, I couldn't help noticing what Alex was doing. He'd begun a conversation with Madeline and it seemed as if they were both enjoying it very much.

Madeline had been around all this time, but after Alex's assurance that he didn't plan to have a mistress at all, and that he had no interest in Madeline, I'd mostly forgotten about her.

But it seemed as if Alex hadn't.

Angry and hurt, I focused on Mrs. Sullivan again.

"I'm terribly sorry," I said. "But I have to excuse myself. I'm not feeling very well."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," she said politely.

I thanked her and then, making sure not to make it obvious, I fled the room, holding back the tears that threatened to spill over.

Automatically, I'd headed in the direction of our rooms, but I stopped, realizing that I didn't want to be there right now. I didn't want to go to my old rooms either since in either place I would be much too easy to find.

As much as I didn't feel like being in any place that reminded me of Alex at this particular moment, I headed for the secret room in the library. At least none of the servants would be able to find me. And apparently, Alex would be too busy to think of it.

If he bothered to think of me at all, I thought, holding back a sob.

Once in the darkened room, I collapsed in the pillows and allowed myself to cry and cry.

Alex said he'd never do this. He waited and denied himself all that time, for what? Just so he could have something to punish me with one day?

How could he do this to me?

I don't know how much time passed as I lay there sobbing into the pillows, but it felt like a long time. The tears had mostly stopped and I was hiccuping every few seconds when a hand came down gently on my back. Knowing it could only be one person, I held still, not wanting to see him.

"Keira," he said softly, rubbing my back.

I didn't answer.

After a moment, he took my arms and sat me up.

Fresh tears slid down my face as I stared at him. He didn't look angry any longer, but I was too hurt to be happy about that.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "Shouldn't you be with Madeline?"

"Madeline?" he asked confused.

Knowing he planned to lie to me about it, made me crumple and start sobbing again.