Chapter 23

Months later, there wasn't as much obvious pressure, but I didn't breathe any easier. It was as if people were resigning themselves to the idea that I wasn't going to be giving them an heir. There weren't nearly as many blatant remarks, but there were many more accusing looks and a lot of unspoken irritation. The gleam I noticed in the eyes of men like Lord Houghton didn't bode well.

Alex begged me not to worry so much, but he couldn't hide his own unease. Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do about it. We simply had to continue to wait until my body decided to comply, and pray that didn't take too much longer.

One of the last things I wanted was to spend even more time with those people than I already had to, but I wanted to see Aunt Keira. Having recovered from Matthew's birth, she resumed attending meetings in the Great Hall with the rest of the advisors. Today, I had some unexpected free time, and if I didn't take the opportunity, I'd have to wait another week to see her.

Sucking up my pride, I quietly snuck in the door behind my usual section. I wasn't sure what was on the agenda today, but it shouldn't take too much longer. It was nearly the time that the king typically dismissed everyone.

As I sat, I realized that whatever the topic being discussed was, must be serious. Hardly anyone besides the queen and few other ladies in our section noticed my entrance because they were so absorbed in the proceedings.

Curiously, I noticed that the queen even looked uneasy. I puzzled over that for a second before directing my attention toward the discussion, becoming instantly concerned.

Alex looked livid. Papa, Aunt Keira, and Uncle William didn't seem much happier, and everyone else was extremely tense, including the king.

"Watch yourself, Houghton," Alex warned, emanating hostility.

"All due respect, Your Highness." He bowed briefly. "I mean no offense, but this is not something that can continue to be ignored."

Alex glowered at him for a long moment.

"You go too far," he snarled.

Lord Houghton raised his hands in a show of passivity. "I am merely informing you of what the people are saying."

"What people?" Alex demanded.

Lord Houghton hesitated for a moment. "To list them all would be a considerable task, Your Highness. I've even heard whispers from the other kingdoms. People are demanding that something be done."

"I'd invite anyone who dares to make demands of me, to come do it in person," the king said, incensed.

It was satisfying to see Lord Houghton fairly cower, and I smiled. He was much too entitled for his own good. I'd never appreciated the king more than I did at that moment.

"Your Majesty," Papa said. "What he is suggesting is outrageous and it's far too early to consider."

What had he suggested? Papa's tone was miraculously calm and respectful, but I'd rarely seen him so furious.

"Sire, you cannot ignore such an issue. Doing so only encourages talk of uprisings," Lord Houghton said, apparently regaining his nerve.

"I've heard no such talk," Lord Stanton said. "Majesty, I believe Lord Houghton's concerns in this matter are unnecessarily premature."

Some of the men nodded and muttered their agreement, but many seemed to be siding with Lord Houghton.

"Premature as it may be," Lord Ellis said. "Lord Houghton is right. We cannot put the issue off indefinitely. The more time that passes, the more unlikely it is that there will be an heir. At the very least, we ought to have a measure in place, in the event it becomes necessary."

I felt my face go white and the bottom dropped out of my stomach. This was about me? I'd known they would be discussing the fact that there wasn't an heir, but I didn't think it would be so heated yet. Now I was even more anxious about Lord Houghton's proposed solution. If this decision were up to him, they'd implement his idea by tomorrow.

Too many men voiced their agreement and I glanced nervously around the room, unable to help but notice that they were the vast majority.

"Legitimacy does not offer an alternative, Sire," Lord Houghton said. "If the princess cannot produce an heir within a reasonable amount of time, we must examine the possibility of annullment."

There were shouts of outrage, thankfully, but still too few.

Angry and humiliated, I stared at my lap. A second later, the queen reached over and took my hand in a show of support. Gratful for it, I gripped her hand and focused on not crying.

"You can say anything you like," Alex fumed. "But that is not an option."

"Highness, be reasonable-" Lord Houghton tried.

"I am being reasonable," Alex said. "You're suggestion is absurd and I won't agree to it."

I wanted to smile, but I was still much too angry and embarrassed.

"You're all smart men," Alex said. "You'll think of something."

The shouting continued, but I barely heard any of it because my mind was spinning. What if Alex couldn't convince them? What if the king felt he had no choice but to order this? In all my worrying, I'd wondered if they would stoop to suggesting this, but I didn't think it would be now! It had only been a year! What was the hurry? Alex and I were both still young, the king wasn't old or sick, and there was still Alex to take the throne if anything did happen to him. This shouldn't be a real concern for at least ten years!

After a few more moments, I found the strength to stand and sneak back through the door, unable to sit there and listen to them all plan my life for me any longer.

What if they really did it? What would happen to me? And Alex....I couldn't stand to think of him marrying someone else!

With a sob, I headed toward mine and Alex's rooms, running all the way.