Chapter 4

"Who is that girl?" I asked Roberta, and gestured to the lovely girl with soft dark curls, across the room.

She was apparently staying in the castle for some reason, but there were so many people here all the time for various reasons, that I didn't bother to wonder at most of them. Some were special guests of the king and queen. Some had lengthy business matters to discuss. Some of the guards and advisors occasionally had their families here for periods of time. And sometimes there were visitors from other kingdoms.

Eventually, I would have to know who most people were, but at the moment, it seemed like an unnecessary headache.

I'd noticed the girl before, but she usually seemed out of place and I couldn't guess why she was here. She was young, maybe sixteen or seventeen, and aside from her maid, she was almost always alone. She also seemed sad.

At the moment, the king was hosting a minor event in the ballroom and nearly everyone in the castle was expected to attend.

Alex was in the middle of some business discussion, and so I was left to Roberta's care. This was, more or less, intended as a leisure event, but Roberta still managed to turn it into a lesson.

I'd grown distracted, however, and had begun wondering about the dark-haired girl again. She was standing alone, leaning against the wall, and looking morose.

"I believe her name is Madeline Rinaldi," Roberta said, sounding uncharacteristically distracted.

She was about to launch into another speech about some horribly boring but necessary subject, but I spoke again before she could start.

"Where did she come from?" I asked, still watching the girl.

"I'm not sure," Roberta said cautiously. "I believe her family lives a distance away."

"Odd that she's here alone," I mused. "Is her father titled?"

"I...do not know, My Lady."

Roberta's uncertainty got my attention. There was very little that went on in the castle without her knowledge. So why was she feining ignorance now?

I could demand that she tell me what she knew....but I didn't want to be that way. People should be allowed to have reservations if they chose. Besides, that girl had nothing to do with me. I was simply curious.

Shaking my head, I resolved to forget it, and allowed Roberta to continue with her teaching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keira,
I'm sorry that I cannot meet you this afternoon as planned. Business today is extensive and no one seems eager to compromise in the least. I'm afraid I will have to miss lunch entirely, so please go ahead without me. Perhaps we can plan another picnic tomorrow.
Love, Alex

With a sigh, I folded the letter and stowed it in my pocket. Roberta, unaware until that moment that I could read, gave me an odd look, and I was grateful that Alex had chosen to communicate that way. If he'd sent someone with and audible message, Roberta would be aware of the situation and she might make me keep working.

"The prince wishes me to meet him," I said, standing. It wasn't technically a lie. If Alex hadn't been busy, I know he would have wanted me to join him.

Roberta still seemed surprised, but nodded and I quickly left the room.

Automatically, I began walking toward the dining room, but I slowed after a moment, realizing that I had no desire to go there. I'd eaten a little as part of my lessons this morning, but even if I hadn't, I still wasn't entirely comfortable dining with the royal family. It would only be the princesses and their mother this afternoon, but that didn't make me any more eager to awkwardly sit with them. I just wasn't hungry enough to brave that without Alex. Besides, I rarely got any time to myself. An hour with no obligations, where I was free to do as I wished, sounded like Heaven.