Chapter 22

As I had resolved to do, I didn't let myself worry too terribly much about a baby before a year had passed, but all too soon, mine and Alex's one year anniversary arrived and it became hard not to be concerned.

For the last several months, it had been easier not to worry since I was so happy to be so close to Alex again. In a way, the fight had actually been a good thing. Not only did it allow me to understand some of Alex's insecurities, but I was able to reassure him about them and, for the most part, banish them entirely. There was the added bonus of Alex agreeing to actually work out our differences in the future, so I didn't worry about something like that ever happening again. Now our relationship was better than ever. We were still technically newlyweds anyway, but after we made up, it was like skipping back to those first few months when we literally couldn't get enough of each other. Which was wonderful, but when our anniversary came around with no indication that a baby was on the way, I couldn't help wondering why it wasn't happening and if something was really wrong with me.

Of course, I'd only been able to fret over it until about lunch time when I was summoned to my parent's home so I could be with my mother as she delivered my baby sister, Lily.

"Mother, she's perfect," I said, holding the baby for the first time.

Mother just smiled wearily.

"Of course she is," Aunt Charlotte said, peering over my shoulder. "And about time she arrived after all those boys."

I laughed softly so I didn't startle my sister. "You're not kidding!" I'd always wanted a sister and she had to wait until I was grown up and married to make an appearance.

"She's perfect and perfectly on time," Mother said giving me a meaningful look.

I sighed and marveled again over how sweet little Lily was. I knew that eventually when I had my own baby, he or she would be equally as sweet, but it was becoming so hard to wait.

Up until now, I'd been far too distracted with worries for my mother to wallow in self pity, but it was beginning to eat at me again. Particularly because I felt like I was being surrounded by babies. Aunt Keira had just had her fourth baby, Matthew, and Aunt Charlotte was ready to pop with her third. I half expected Aunt Susan to announce that she was pregnant too.

I looked up as the bedroom door opened and Papa came in to meet his new daughter.

My aunts moved out of the way and he came over to me, smiling down at the baby. Handing her over, I moved to Mother's left side while Papa sat in the chair on her right.

"You have another daughter," Mother smiled up at him and Papa looked so happy.

The pride and love on Papa's face was so sweet that I had to blink away a few tears and try not to think about how much sweeter that look would be on Alex's face.

Mother didn't miss it. She took my hand and gave it a little squeeze.

"Lily?" Papa asked, apparently checking to see that Mother hadn't changed her mind.

She just nodded. Since the boys all had to be named for people in the family, Papa had allowed her to decide on any girl names.

Papa continued to stare proudly at the baby until she decided that she'd been quiet long enough. She whimpered a little and then started screaming.

Begrudgingly, he handed her to Mother who knew right away that she was crying for food. Suddenly I realized that when I finally did have a baby, I wouldn't know what to do like that. Literally the only thing I'd been thinking about was actually getting pregnant, but I wouldn't have any clue what to do once I was. If it happened soon the way it needed to, Mother would be far too busy with Lily to come stay with me to help. And then there was the part where I'd have to give birth. It's not as if I didn't know what that meant before, but being here for Mother's endless labor made me realize how torturous it could really be.

"Are you alright?" Mother said pulling me from my thoughts.

Blinking a few times to clear my head, I met her eyes. I hadn't realized that my anxiety would be so obvious.

"You just had a baby and you're asking how other people are," Aunt Keira scolded. "Honestly Cecily, focus on yourself for a change."

Everyone laughed, including me. Aunt Keira was right. Mother didn't need my worries right now. She had to be exhausted. I just smiled and nodded, letting her know I'd be fine.

She returned my smile before looking at her sister. "You're one to talk! You should be resting."

Aunt Keira rolled her eyes. "I'm completely fine and so is Matthew for the next few hours. William can keep him and the other ones alive for now. Especially since Waverly wants to do everything with the baby. She's just disappointed that he wasn't a girl that she could dress up."

Aunt Keira paused and looked thoughtfully at me for a moment before she turned to Mother again.

"Did you ever think that we got the wrong ones?" she teased. "You got the tomboy and I got the girly one? Want to switch?"

Everyone laughed again and Mother reached for my hand. "Oh no. This one's all mine."

Deciding to simply enjoy this time with my family, I resolutely pushed all my other worries out of my mind. There would be plenty of time for them later.