Chapter 14

"You seem to be in a good mood," I noted with satisfaction when Alex returned from dealing with his various duties for the day.

He'd been spot on when he predicted that the "hour or so" he was expected to put in every day would gradually increase. Three months later, he was busy most of the day, every day. He usually returned looking irritated or even angry. At best, he might seem bored, and he had never come back smiling the way that he was now.

"I am," he agreed, coming to kiss my cheek.

I just watched him, wondering what had made him so happy.

"I have a surprise for you."

Thrilled by whatever it was, I matched his grin. "What is it?" I asked excitedly.

Alex smirked and kept his mouth shut.

"I have to guess?"

"Well, you can try." He was clearly enjoying himself. "But I doubt you'll be able to do it."

I thought for a second. What on earth could it be? I didn't really need or want any sort of trinket - not that I wouldn't love whatever he wanted to give me, but token of that kind didn't seem likely to be what he had in mind.

"A book?" I guessed. Alex was one of the few people that knew I loved to read, and every so often he'd bring me something he thought I'd like, but I doubted that was it either.

He laughed. "Not even close."

"Do I get a hint?" I was torn between happiness at his mood and irritation for this little game of his. I hated waiting for things and I hated being kept in the dark even more.

"Nope." He said happily.

Settling on irritation, I huffed. "Then why did you even tell me?"

He laughed again and kissed me. "Because I just found out that it's definite and because I love watching you try to figure things out."

I frowned at him.

"You'll know soon," he said.

"How soon?"

Alex just grinned, clearly not even planning to tell me that much.

I glared for another second before I got a new idea.

Putting my arms around his neck, I kissed him slowly and deliberately, until I felt that he had a completely different subject on his mind.

"Can't I do something to make you want to tell me?" I whispered in his ear before pulling away and blinking innocently at him.

He stared at my lips and didn't seem nearly as cocky as he had before. I fought a grin of triumph.

He kissed me back for a moment before trailing soft little kisses from my jaw to my ear.

"You can try," he whispered, teasing me.

I pulled away and scowled at him.

With a laugh, he untangled himself from my arms and went to change his shirt. I pouted for a few seconds before he turned back to wink at me.

Unable to help it, I smiled and wished that I had something to surprise him with.

To everyone's disappointment, I wasn't pregnant yet. I started to hope when I felt a little funny a week ago, but then my little visitor arrived right on time, and I knew I must have just eaten something that didn't agree with me.

There was still plenty of time, but every day that passed with no sign of a baby made everyone more anxious and more willing to put pressure on us.