Chapter 19

The following day was strange. Alex was gone from the room by the time I woke up, and then he was absent from breakfast.

When Juliette had asked where he was, all I could do was awkwardly smile and say he wasn't hungry. Based on the surprised looks that crossed both hers and Isabelle's faces, I guessed that had never happened.

My duties kept me busy and away from Alex all day and so I didn't even see him until dinner time. He chatted easily enough with everyone else but practically ignored me. And then after everyone had eaten, rather than being pulled away like he usually was, he'd been the one to initiate a conversation with a few men.

"Everything alright?" Reed asked, coming up to me.

Not wanting to worry him or ruin our time together, I forced a smile and nodded. "Just princess stuff," I joked, earning a chuckle from him.

We talked and laughed some more, and I teased him about how miserable he looked every time he was made the center of attention. Both nights, the king had toasted Reed and each time, he'd looked horribly uncomfortable.

Being near him and his goofy personality I was almost able to forget whatever was going on with Alex. Almost. Unable to help it, I'd checked on him several times over the course of my conversation with Reed, and each time, Alex had been scowling about something. I sighed internally and wondered if he would be just as closed off tonight as he'd been before. Maybe he'd be even more guarded.

I half expected Alex to leave the room without me, but at the end of the evening he appeared beside me, looking just as irritated as he had all evening. It didn't escape my notice that he didn't take my hand the way he usually did.

Reed, obviously feeling the tension didn't wait to be dismissed or attempt to carry on some sort of forced conversation. Instead, he looked between Alex and me, and bowed. "Good evening, Your Highness."

As he stood upright and turned to go, the locket he wore swung lightly into place. Alex's gaze zeroed in on the movement and his eyes narrowed.

Was he jealous? Was that what this was all about? He must recognize the locket. Before I gave it to Reed, I'd worn it every day since Papa had given it to me.

Well at least I had some clue about what he was thinking now. Crazy as it was, at least it was an explanation.

Alex gripped my arm and began ushering me from the room. His hold was a little tight and I cringed slightly, but didn't say anything.

We walked in silence the whole way back to our bedroom and by the time we reached it, there wasn't any question in my mind. He was jealous and he was angry.

Part of me wanted to laugh it off because it was so absurd, but I knew that wouldn't be helpful. I was at a loss over how to deal with this though. I'd never seen him angry before. Certainly not when I was the one he was angry with.

He toed off his shoes and kicked them across the floor before ripping off his jacket and violently tossing it away.

"Alex, please talk to me," I tried.

He paused and scowled at me before resuming his task of beating up his clothes.

"Are you going to be mad at me forever without even telling me why?" I said, frustrated.

"Why!" he repeated and took the few steps to stand in front of me. The suddenness of his movements made me flinch.

"You..." he sarted. "He..." Obviously, he wanted to accuse me of something, but he couldn't. Reed and I hadn't done anything even mildly inappropriate.