Chapter 1

LILY

"Lily, you okay?" Dad called through the door. "Yea, I'm fine." I called back, tears rolling down my cheeks. Mom was just hospitalized, and she won't be out of the hospital for at least a month, and I was stuck with my extremely controlling and kind of neglectful father, after lashing out at my friends, I have nothing left.

"This is stupid," I whispered, biting back tears, and flopping onto my bed. I tried to make a post, but I couldn't focus, mom always used to help me with editing. I kept seeing her face in my brain, happy, proud, understanding. Now we aren't sure if she'll even make it. I picked up my phone and scrolled on TikTok, nothing helpful. I wandered out of my room, and grabbed a bag of chips, going straight back to my room. I got lost in thoughts, what if mom never makes it? What would happen if I just escaped, I'm already 18. I rolled over, and lied there.

"Lily, dinner, now. Get down here." I heard my dad call me. I chucked my phone into my closet and bolted down the stairs. "I'm here." I said, he nodded, and pulled a chair out for me. I sat down and picked at my food. "Lily, eat." Dad instructed me, I nodded, not really paying attention. I ate a piece of chicken, something didn't taste right, maybe I was imagining things. I picked at it more, "dad, I'm not hungry." I said quietly, and went back up to my room. I scrolled through the pictures of me and mom, tears rolling down my face. "I miss you momma, get better soon," I whispered. I fell asleep quickly.
..............................
9:00 AM
I woke up to my alarm, and I sat up reluctantly. I got up and checked my phone, a text from my dad, reading, gone to visit mom. Please don't eat anything, and head out, I don't want you at home. I sighed and thought for a minute. Where should I go, I don't have any friends to take me. I'll ask my ai. I texted my ai, for places near me, Bondi Beach. I smiled slightly, I loved bondi. I stripped out of my pajamas and picked out a purple bikini, and some cute jean shorts. I got dressed and piled my hair into the top of my head in a messy bun. I grabbed my surf board and my wetsuit, just in case I wanted to surf.

I walked out of our apartment and to my jeep. I loaded it up with my stuff and drove off. 15 minutes later I was at bondi. I got out, and found a spot near the lifeguard tower to sit. I sat there and scrolled on Pinterest, watching the lifeguards out of the corner of my eyes. The way they moved in the water, and how they managed to help so many people so quickly was interesting. I saw Harrison walk up to me, and smile. I looked up and waved. "Hi, you're Harrison right?" I said quietly. "Yea, I am, mate, you seem kind of upset, we've been watching you for a while, and Whippet's gotten worried." He replied. I chuckled to myself, trying to blow it off, "yea, mate, I'm fine, I promise," I said, smiling slightly. He nodded and headed off back to the tower. I decided to pull on my wetsuit and go surfing.

I paddled out towards the waves, my heart started to pump and I smiled for the first time in weeks. Before I knew it, I was back on shore, smiling and giggling to myself after a really good wave. The adrenaline was rushing and I felt so much better than I ever have. I paddled back out and stood up as the wave hit my board, I caught the wave perfectly, and my legs turned to jelly in the best way.

I paddled over closer to a rip, in south bondi, and I wanted to see what would happen if I just sat watched the swimmers.

Soon, I saw a guy go under, my heart skipped a beat and I paddled over. "Oi, mate, mate!" I called, trying to fight the rip to get to him. I signalled up to the tower for help, and I saw a rescue board come towards me, I grabbed the guy's arms, and pulled the half conscious man onto my board. "Mate, over here!" I called to the lifeguard, who on closer inspection was Harrison, the one that had talked to me earlier. He nodded, and paddled over. "Mate, oh god, here, I'll get him."

The guy had become very limp, and i was starting to worry. The rip was nasty, so I tried to help push the guy in with Harrison. "We're gonna need a defibrillator," Harrison muttered, "three air pumps, mate please," he said to me as we were paddling in. I nodded and pumped the air three times. I continued to paddle on my board with Harrison and I kept pushing through with him, until we got the guy to shore. I jumped off my board and helped Harrison drag the guy up the shore. The rhino and defibrillator were waiting. Harrison started cpr, and I grabbed my board, and went back to my spot, people need to give the lifeguards space to work. My heart was beating so fast, that was so cool! I thought excitedly. I heard sirens, and clapping from an audience. I smiled to myself, knowing that I just aided in a resuscitation.