Chapter 2

LILY 7:00 PM
"Where were you today?" Dad asked me when I walked in the door. I sighed, sitting down. "Well, I went to Bondi Beach, and surfed, and helped with a resuscitation." I explained, smiling to myself, and I've found myself again. "So, Lily, what'd you eat?" Dad questioned me further. "Nothing except for a yoghurt and granola, this morning." I replied. He groaned, "Lily, you need to eat healthier, less breakfast, more lunch." I sighed, rolling my eyes, and getting up to start dinner. "Hey, you want anything dad, I'm making a salad." I asked, he shook his head.

I nodded, and picked up a salad bowl. I grabbed the lettuce and sliced it up. I mixed the other veggies and some chicken in too. I sat down, and dug in, "oh my god, it's so good," I mumbled, mouth full. My dad chuckled, and got up, "Lily, I'm visiting your mom tonight, I'll be back, make sure you go to bed on time." He told me. I nodded, stuffing my face with more salad. I hugged him, and waved as he left. I sat back down, after grabbing my phone. I checked instagram, and saw a bondi beach pic,

                                                   busy day, pretty good, thanks to the grom that helped us bring that man in❤️I smiled and commented, 'mate, you're 21, I'm 18, im not a baby, and you're welcome for helping, I'll be at bondi tomorr...

I smiled and commented, 'mate, you're 21, I'm 18, im not a baby, and you're welcome for helping, I'll be at bondi tomorrow,'
I put my phone away, and stuck my bowl in the dishwasher.

I headed to the bathroom and stripped, I took a shower, washing my hair and shaving. I got out, and put on my fuzzy pajamas. I brushed my teeth and put in my retainer. I went to my room did my skincare and plaited my hair. I'm gonna be at bondi as much as I can, it's so amazing. I thought, scrolling TikTok in bed. I drifted off, and jerked myself awake, "shit," I muttered, rolling over.
....................
5:00 AM
I woke up to my alarm, I sat up excitedly, I jumped out of bed, and made coffee. I sipped my coffee, and checked the weather, it was going to be a nice day. I smiled, and grabbed a small yoghurt, and some granola. "Mmm, this is good." I muttered, taking a bite. "Lily, you up?" I heard my dad call. I looked over, "yea, dad, I'm here, you leaving?" I asked. He nodded, and I went over to hug him. "Love you, Lily, be safe at bondi today." He said, rubbing my back. I nodded, and waved while he left. I went to my room, and pulled off my pyjamas. I picked out a cute navy blue, floral bikini, and my navy blue wetsuit. I plaited my hair, and packed my beach bag, a towel, phone, wallet, keys, and a spare change of clothes. I slipped on my sandals and walked across the street to bondi.

I dropped by the tower, and knocked. "Hello?" Jesse answered, I took a deep breath. "Yea, hi, I'm Lily. And I was wondering what I need to do to become a lifeguard here?" I asked. He nodded, and beckoned me inside, "yea, so you mostly need your certifications, and physical abilities." He explained, I nodded. "I have all the certifications because my dad enjoys to control my life," I said, he looked at me, with searching eyes. "I feel like I recognize you, mate." He said, confused. "Oh, yea, I'm the grommet that helped the resuscitation yesterday, i came to bondi to escape my hell hole, and I've found myself again here. So I'm considering getting a job here." I explained. He nodded a smiled. "Aw, that's so cool, a day here and you're doing better, dyou mind if I ask what's going on?" He asked. I nodded, "yea, so I'm graduating next month, so I'm nervous about that, and my mom's been diagnosed with a heart condition, that's deteriorating her health extremely quickly, she was admitted about 2 weeks ago, and she only has about 4 months left, if that." I explained quietly. He nodded, and squeezed my hand, "thanks for letting me know, I may be able to help, and Whippet's been curious." He said, I looked over, and noticed Whippet was looking over, at us, sadly. I smiled at him, giving a thumbs up. "K, mate, ima go try and ride a wave or two," I chuckled, heading out of the tower, waving.

I slipped off my sandals and dropped my bag, dragging my board out  the water. My heart raced as I jumped onto my board and I paddled out. Before I knew it, i was standing up, riding the waves, my heart soared and I just cheered and smiled on the way in. I ran up the beach, to be greeted by two of the lifeguards, Harrison and Mouse. I smiled at them, "mate, you're a legend!" Harrison exclaimed, I smiled, "I mean, you helped with that rescue yesterday and the way you can just effortlessly ride those waves is literally awesome!" He explained. I grinned, "aw, thank you so much, mate, that means a lot." I said, blushing. "Yea, I never did catch your name?" He asked, I nodded, "yea, I'm Lily. Nice to meet you." He smiled at me, "Lily, that's nice." I blushed and looked away, "Lily, you don't mind if we call you Legend, right?" Mouse asked, and I shook my head "yea, of course, go ahead." I grinned. "You'll be seeing a lot of me, so might as well have a nickname." I chuckled. The boys cheered, "yea, hopefully more rescue help, and maybe you could be our little buddy." Harrison said. I nodded, flustered. "Maybe I'll end up working here, I love it here, and I've worked at my local beach in Florida back about two years ago." I chuckled, Harrison gasped, "no way, you have to work here! I'll get you an application tomorrow and I'll convince hoppo!" He exclaimed. "Will do, I'm 18, so my dad really can't do anything about it." I chuckled. I hugged Harrison and Mouse briefly, and their radio went off, "Harrison, Mouse, leave Lily, and pay attention to the water." Whippet exclaimed. I chuckled, and Harrison responded, "Legend's good with us, she's not super  distracting, and she's a good, help, but yeah, we'll watch better." Mouse caught my eye, and my heart fluttered, his eyes pierced my green ones. I smiled, awkwardly and Harrison chuckled at us, while whippet responded, "boys, she's already got a nickname?" He chuckled. Mouse grinned, "yea, she's gonna be a part of the team, so she kinda needs one." He said back. "Oh, cool, well, there's a guy going under across from the 4th ramp." Mouse stripped his jersey off, and I watched as he grabbed a rescue board, as he ran out to the guys aid. I caught Harrison's eye and smirked, "legend, you already got a crush?" He joked, I blushed and turned away, giggling. "Maybe, but don't tell him." He saluted to me, and I grinned, "mate, I'm gonna grab lunch, dyou wanna exchange numbers so we can discuss getting me into the job?" I asked, he nodded, scribbling his number down, "here, and see ya, Ledge, have a good day, my shifts over at 7 today if you want to call and make plans for this job of yours." He said, chuckling, I nodded, and gave him a quick hug before grabbing my stuff and then running off the cafe on the promenade.