Chapter 7

LILY 7:00 AM
"Lege, you excited for your first shift at a busy bit of the beach?" Mouse asked me, helping me stick my bag into the backseat of my jeep. "Yea, but I'm nervous, who am I with?" I replied, "oh, uhm, I think it's with Deano or Reidy." He informed me. I rolled my eyes, "crap, I don't want to work with Reidy, he's annoying." I complained, Mouse chuckled, and stroked my blonde curls, I looked at him and gave him a big hug, "have fun on your day off babe." I whispered as he kissed my forehead. I waved and drove off to bondi.

"Hey boys," I said pulling on my jersey. "Hey, Lege, how're you?" Deano asked me absentmindedly watching the water. "Yea, I'm good, kind of nervous for what today has in store." I mumbled, "oh, yes, you're at Backpackers with Reidy, and Harries." Deano chuckled, "good luck, girl." He sighed. I rolled my eyes, kind of worried. "Hey, hey, Legend, it's okay, hunni, they won't hurt you." He said, noticing me start to fidget. "Okay, I guess." I muttered, watching Reidy and Harries walk in and give me a mischievous grin, "Lege, girl, you're with us, we don't have a bunch of time, so let's head down to backpackers." Harries called, I waved at Deano and walked, rather unhappily towards the door.

"Lege, how's you and Mouse?" Harries asked. "Oh, pretty good, not much has happened other than that crap he pulled in the tower yesterday." I replied, grinning and rolling my eyes. "Oh, yea, your face was priceless on that one, Lege, you were gonna beat the shit out of him." Reidy chuckled. I grinned, "honestly I might've if there weren't so many people there." I giggled. Harries patted my shoulder, "ok, Legend, can you dig the hole for the dangerous current sign?" He asked, I nodded, pulling it out of the back of the rhino and pulling it down towards the rip. I dug the hole, and stuck the sign in the hole, burying it in the sand. I turned my radio up, and sat down in the rhino. "Central Bondi to Backpackers" I heard deano's voice crackle through the radio. "Backpackers to central, what's going on?" I radioed back. "There's a guy going under in the rip just out from the current sign." He radioed back. I sighed and stripped my jersey off. I grabbed a board and ran out to the water, I jumped on my board and paddled out, looking for the man. I saw him and paddled faster, he didn't look good. "Oi, mate, mate!" I called, reaching out to him. I grabbed him and he reached up. I sighed, "mate, you're okay," I said. He nodded and grabbed the board. "Climb on. Head goes front, on your tummy, on your tummy, tummy, belly." I instructed him, unfortunately he wasn't great at balancing in the board. "Mate, swing for legs on towards me," I said, he got that and climbed on. I repositioned and paddled toward a wave, we caught it and went in pretty easily. "Woo! Legend, that was awesome!" Harries exclaimed, clapping my back, and giving me a side hug. I grinned, "that was really fun," I said excitedly. I grabbed my towel from the rhino and dried myself off a little and pulled my jersey on again, gosh that bikini top doesn't cover adequately for a lifeguard. I sat down and watched as Reidy hopped in to do another rescue. I watched and saw another man out in the water, struggling. "Oi, harries, you go too." I told him, he nodded, pulled off his jersey and paddled out. I watched as Reidy struggled to get the man in, he almost looked-unconscious. My heart dropped, and I grabbed the last board and rushing out to get to him. "Mate, he's unconscious," I called. He nodded, as I got to him. I sat up on my board and pumped my hand three times, signaling for a defibrillator. We struggled to get the guy back to shore, and when we did, we pulled him off the board and I started chest compressions as Reidy set up the defib. I checked the man's pulse and it still wasn't there. We waited for the machine to read his pulse, "signals found, shocking now." The machine said, I cringed as the guy spazzed. We heard the ambulance in the background and I checked the man's pulse again, still wasn't there "signals not found, continue compressions." The machine said.  My heart dropped as I continued compressions, I winced as I heard cracking of the man's ribs. "Do not touch, assessing patient." The defib said. "Signals found, shocking now." It said again. We watched as the man spazzed again. "Check for pulse, if not found, continue compressions." The machine said. I checked his wrist and felt a slight pulse. "I've got him!" I yelled, the ambulance workers arrived and took over the scene. I took a step back and a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Lege, up to the tower, take a few minutes, come down if you feel ready again." Hoppo said, after pulling me aside. I nodded, and walked up to the tower. "Legend!" Deano exclaimed. "You did so good!" He said. I avoided his eyes and sat down. Harrison was in the tower, "c'mere, Lege," he said, pulling me closer to him. "That was more intense than I thought it'd be." I whispered, biting back tears. "Yea, I know, sometimes it's scary." He replied, brushing a kiss on my cheek, "but you did really good, especially with the ring of death so close to you." He added, I shook my head, "does this happen to you after something like this?" I asked him, quietly. "Yea, especially with my first rescue, Lege, it's okay," he said. I nodded, "I don't want to work there again." I muttered, "I know, sucks that happened on your first day there, but you're doing good, it's your what? Third week? You're Doing great, you didn't need help!" He exclaimed. I smiled softly and leaned my head on his shoulder.
..................................
7:00 PM
"Legend!" Mouse said, running up to me, and giving me a big hug, he pulled away and looked at me, "baby what's going on?" He asked, concerned. I looked at him, and the tears started rolling down my cheeks, he engulfed me with a hug, and brought me into my room. "Sh, hunni, it's okay." He told me, kissing my cheek. "I saved him, but I didnt have any help, I was so scared, it took two shocks, and I just got more and more scared." I whispered, starting to shake. "Aw, but you got him back baby. It's okay." He said, soothingly. I swallowed hard and looked at him, he wiped a tear out of my eye and I buried my face in his shirt. He held me close, kissing my hair. "Baby, it's going to be fine, do you need a day off tomorrow to recover from this?" He asked. I nodded, "yea, please." I whispered. He nodded, "I'll call Hoppo for you." He said, grabbing his phone. I watched him dial Hoppo's number, "Hi, yes, hello Hoppo, how're you?" Mouse said, "aw, good, good, that's good." He said, nodding, "yea, so I'm calling about Legend, she's having a hard time about the resus she did today, I was wondering if the two of us could have a day off tomorrow for some reflection?" He asked Hoppo, "oh, yea, Lege is my girlfriend and I would like to be there for her." He said, blushing and catching my eye making me giggle, "sweet, thanks Hoppo!" He grinned, "yea, see you, buh bye." He said, hanging up the phone. He put his hand on my waist and rubbed my waistline and stomach gently, I looked at him and he smirked a little bit. I blushed, and he pulled me in for a kiss. He cupped my cheek and his other hand rubbed my arm, making me blush and get butterflies. He began kissing my neck and pulled me closer. I pulled away after a few long moments and smiled at him. It was silent for a few minutes, where you could only hear us catching our breath. I smiled at him. "There's my favorite girl's sweet smile, I love you." Mouse smiled, I hugged his waist, "aw, I love you too, so much." I whispered. I curled up on his lap, and drifted off to sleep.