Ch.3: The Jessie Job

As the trio headed back to Stargazer Heights, Y/n turned to Cloud. "SOLDIER, huh? That mean you worked for Shinra?" "That was a long time ago. Rather not talk about it." Cloud said while turning his head away. "Sure. Sure." Y/n nodded and glanced at Tifa who held her head down with sadness in her eyes.

"Back a little early, are you?" Said Marle. "That's right." Tifa responded with a smile. "Just gonna get some rest." "You do that dear." Tifa nodded and headed upstairs. "Not so fast you two." She said to Y/n and Cloud. "Do me a favor. She needs friends, real friends." The two boys turned to each other. "We are friends." They answered in unison. "So when she talks, are you really listening? Thinking about her and her feelings?" Cloud remained silent. "Of course I am." Answered Y/n. "The last thing I want to do is make her think she can't confide in me." "That's what I wanted to hear. She's important to me. Just... keep her safe." "Of course." Marle smiled at the young man. "Go on."

Y/n and Cloud walked up the stairs and met with Tifa who stood by her door. "When you're done, can you meet me at mine?" "Okay/Sure." Cloud and Y/n responded. The pair entered their separate rooms with Y/n stepping into the shower to wash off the dirt from the day.

Y/n exited his room and walked over to Tifa's, knocking on the door. "Come in." Y/n entered the room. "Nice place." He complimented the rather barren room which only contained a bed,a desk, a dresser and a punching bag. "Thanks."

Cloud then entered the room without knocking. "Dude. You knock before entering a room." Said Y/n as Tifa put her hands on her hips and raised a brow. "Oh, sorry."

"After you left the village." Said Tifa, wanting to continue the story before they got side tracked. "Hm?" "You said you had left the village." Y/n said. "I'd like to know the story."

"Well, when we were kids, everybody wanted to be a SOLDIER, right?" "Yeah, I remember they were in the news every day during the war." "Thing is, by the tike I finally made it in, they didn't need heroes anymore. It was nothing like what we'd dreamt of. It was just... working for Shinra..." Cloud paused as if remembering terrible memories of what he did. "I'm sorry. I know it's a touchy subject." "Not exactly small talk. Especially with people you haven't seen in a while." "I get it. Still, it's kinds funny. Us going our separate ways, thinking that must be it, that we'd never meet again. And then here of all places we do. A merc. A prince. And a bartender." Y/n chuckled. "Funny how fate can bring people back together." He said. "Fate?" Cloud questioned. "You really believe that stuff?" "Whether or not I do, doesn't matter. Just a way to try and make sense of why we're back together again."

"You know what?!" Exclaimed Tifa. "We should totally celebrate! Let's dress up and hit the town." "Really?" Asked Cloud. "I mean, why not? It'll be fun!" "Hell yeah! I'm in!" Y/n said as he pumped his fist. Cloud then nodded. "Okay. What's the dress code?" Tifa thought for a moment. "Not too fancy. Something simple." She walked back and spun. "What do you think would suit me?" Cloud simply looked at Y/n and remained silent. "Well?" Tifa turned to Y/n. "What do you think?" "Uh... something refined." "Yeah, I guess we're not kids anymore. Be sure to pick an outfit that goes with mine, okay?" Y/n nodded before she turned to Cloud. "You too." "Will do." Tifa giggled. "This is gonna be so much fun. You see." Y/n smiled. "Can't wait." Tifa gave Y/n a smile before clapping her hands together. "And on that happy note, I think it's time we headed back to the bar, come on." "You don't want to take a longer break?" Asked Y/n. "I'm sure Cloud could wait a bit longer for his money." Cloud wanted to argue, but decided against it. "I'm good. Marle isn't always right you know." "Fair enough."

The trio arrived at Seventh Heaven where Tifa turned to her friends. "Could use a little something to take the edge off, right? How about a refreshing cocktail made by yours truly that you can sit back and savor?" "Tifa, we've had a long day. How about a simple beer?" Y/n suggested. "You're right. Hey, do you guys think your stick around a little longer?" "Maybe." Cloud answered. "Work for a minute, build up some savings." "I see." She turned to Y/n. "You already know my answer." Tifa smiled and nodded. "Right. Guess you'll be here forever." Y/n chuckled. "I'll hold you to that."