Ch.12: Before the Rescue

The four had returned to Aerith's house where Elmyra graciously took in Wedge. "I'm sorry." Apologized Barret. "I truly am. We had no other place to go and..." Elmyra shook her head. "I would never leave a wounded man out on the street." She assured. "Elmyra. I know what you said, but you have to let us go after Aerith." Cloud said. "Not this again. We found an underground Shinra lab where they've done human testing. This won't be the first time and it won't be the last. I know these people, and I know they're never gonna let Aerith go. She's the one of the last living Ancients on the planet. Think about what that means to Shinra's scientists. Especially to that son of a bitch Hojo. We're all just numbers and meat to him." Y/n looked at Cloud. "And how exactly do you know this Cloud? Other than the fact that you were a SOLDIER." Cloud stammered, he was completely caught off guard by the question. "Unless you were experimented on as well." Tifa gasped. "Y/n. Why would you think that?" "ENOUGH!" Elmyra shouted. "Please. I need some time to think. You've all had a long day. Why don't you go upstairs and get some rest."

As Cloud, Barret, and Tifa headed for the stairs, Y/n walked towards the door. "Y/n?" Tifa called. "I'm gonna go get some air." Tifa followed behind Y/n who headed towards one of Aerith's flower beds. "What's wrong, Y/n?" "Cloud. That's what's wrong Tifa. His little episodes where he grabs his head in pain. The fact that he's so dismissive whenever we try and ask what's wrong." "I know, but we can't just force him to tell us what's wrong. He'll have to decide on his own time." "Tifa. This is Cloud we're talking about. He's not exactly the most open guy in the world." "Which is why we can't really help him if he doesn't come to us. He'll just shrug it off like he always does." Y/n sighed. "I'm just worried about him is all." "I understand, Y/n. I am too, but we can't rush things like this." "I guess you have a point." Y/n sat down near the flowe bed and Tifa joined. "It's beautiful here." Y/n looked at Tifa who ran her hand through the flowers. She looked up and smiled. "What?" "Nothing. Just admiring." Tifa blushed. "What exactly?" Y/n cleared his throat and looked down at the white flowers. "The flowers of course." Tifa chuckled. "Right. Anything else?" "Hmmm. No." Tifa playfully punched Y/n's arm. "Hehe. Like I have to mention it, Tifa." "Still. It's nice to hear." Y/n used his hand to brush aside Tifa's hair behind her ear. "You. I was admiring you." She smiled even more. The two laid down and looked up into part of the sky where they could see stars. "You ever think about what's gonna happen in the future, Y/n?" "I try not to. I want to live in moment and enjoy it because who knows what will happen tomorrow, right?" "That's true. I spend a lot of my time thinking about tomorrow when I should think more about today." "It is good to think about the future though." Y/n chuckled. "Finding a balance is what Ignis always tells me." "Oh, your friend?" "Yeah. I can't wait to introduce you to the guys back home." "I can't wait to meet them." "Have you known them long?" "I met Ignis as soon as I arrived. Gladio I met a few years later when I began my training. And Prompto didn't come up until high school." "How was high school like?" "It was... okay. It was hard to do anything or go anywhere without a group of people following me." "Any of them girls?" "...Mostly." "Did you have a girlfriend? Or rather do you?" Tifa turned way to hide her embarrassment upon asking the question. Y/n chuckled. "No. I don't. I guess... I'm just waiting for the right person." Tifa turned to Y/n who looked up into the night sky. "And I think I found her." Tifa couldn't contain her smile as she closed herself to Y/n and rested her head onto his shoulder while he rested his head on hers. The two remained staring up at the sky in silence; just enjoying each other's company. Soon, Tifa fell asleep, resting her head against Y/n's shoulder. Though he wanted to stay like this, he decided to carry her back to the house where she placed her beside Marlene. "Daddy?" The girl called as she rubbed her eyes. "Oh, it's me, Marlene." "Hi Y/n. What are you doing here?" "Tifa feel asleep so I brought h.er in. You should be asleep too." "I will, but look." Marlene pointed at the Sylleblossom near the window pane. "You brought your flower?" "It's the one you gave Tifa. She told me it was really important to her and so brought it with me." Y/n smiled. "Thank you Marlene. You go back to sleep okay." "Okay. Goodnight." "Goodnight."