Chapter 7: ''All I feel is deny, deny, denial.''

By the time that the ambulance arrived, which appeared like five minutes after my call, Ben and Sam appeared too.

I sat on the floor of the hospital when we arrived, feeling the world falling apart, like crashing.

It's funny how can change you life that fast. One minute you're in heaven and the next one you're in hell, trying to pick up your own pieces because you're broken. Also you can feel useless or powerless.

''I've already called Danny, Cam and Hannah, they're arriving.'' Sam sat with me and kissed my head. I didn't answer and then Ben came with us.

''I've talked with the doctors and they don't know anything right now, but when they'll do, they will tell us about it.'' Ben whispered, giving me a cup of coffee. I took it and drank it slowly, shaking again.

''Thank you.'' I tried to say, but my voice cracked.

''Don't be grateful, Alice, Ben told me about what you two talked.''Sam sighed looking at Ben.

''What happened?'' Ben asked, putting a hand on my right knee.

''We were talking about the surprise and about... When he proposed to me.'' I paused. ''And he closed his eyes like nothing, like he was gone.'' I sobbed again, looking at my ring.

''Holy shit.'' Sam mumbled. I felt bad for them, to be honest. They didn't have to come with me and they did, they were supporting me.

''What the fucking fuck happened to my brother?!'' Hannah yelled running through the corridor, but Cameron took her before she could go further. I looked up to Danny and got up as I could. He just nodded and kissed my cheek, then cleaned both of them with his hands. I couldn't stand the situation, too much for a short time.

''Stay with Hannah, I'm going out with Alice because I'm sure that they're not going to say anything now.'' Cameron told Ben and he stroked my back. I went out with Cam like he said.

We sat quietly on a bench. I lit a cigarette and gave one to Cam.

''He's going to be okay.'' Suddenly he spoke.

''I don't know, Cam, I don't know.'' I shrugged. I looked up at the few stars that filled the dark sky.

''Have faith even if you don't believe in anything.''

''I want to die.'' I said coldly. I felt numb, like it was a nightmare and I couldn't wake up for once.

He didn't speak more, we sat in silence for almost twenty minutes and then we came back to the corridor of the hospital. I saw a devastated Hannah with Danny trying to calm her, but she was in shock like all of us.

We sat for hours that felt like years, and then a doctor opened a door. ''James Cassells' family?'' He said.