Chapter-12

Chapter-12

Layla Alberto's POV

"I can come by myself. He didn't have to send you." I say as I sit in the back seat of the car Ben sent to pick me up. His driver is smiling at me. I smile back.

"My kid suffered from cancer and is now cancer free, living the life of a kid as he should. It is all because of you. If it wasn't for you Trust fund..." He looks away for a brief second before meeting my eyes in the rear view mirror. "Thank you, Ms. Alberto." The gratefulness is clear in his voice and face.

"You are welcome. You kid is happy and that is all that matters."

That's what the trust fund is for. Anyone who needs help will be provided the help they need.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Damon." He replies. The kind smile is still present on his face.

I open my phone and check the messages. I have a new message from Ben.

Waiting for you.

I smile, but don't reply back. The anxiousness in my heart is still present. Not about what will happen when I reach there. Definitely not. Not matter the past, I know Ben would not hurt it. It is because of the message I got last night. It gave me a sleepless night. I didn't reply back. I could only wonder who sent it and why.

What do they mean that not all that happened that night? What else happened?

I replayed the whole night in my mind but nothing. Then I just gave up. It might be someone pranking me or trying to get some money out of it. This is not the first time. But something in the back of my mind doesn't let it go.

"We are here, Ms. Alberto." He opens the door for me and soon we are in the lift going up to his penthouse.

As we enter, I hear a voice of a woman. It's a very familiar one and instantly a grin takes over my face and I walk faster into the kitchen to the meet the person. She looks at me and her face mirrors mine.

"Oh my God! My Lovely girl!" She comes to me with open arms as I do the same and we hug.

It's Jessica! Ben's mom! She knows more about how much of a crush I had on her son that he ever did. She knows all the excuses I made to meet her son. She had a smile like she knew when I was asking about him.

"You grew up so beautifully!" She says as we pull away.

"How are you?" I ask as she leads us to the table and we sit down. Ben is nowhere in the room. His cook Maria is here. Ha! He said he would be waiting! Lies!

"I have been well. I miss your Mom sometimes. How is she?" She asks. They have been good friends.

"She is good. She would love to meet you."

"Are you and Ben together again?" She asks excitedly. What?! She doesn't know what happened ten years ago I guess.

"No." No. No! NO! Her face falls.

"I am sorry. Ben never tells me anything. Just like always." Her eyes wander away as she shakes her head feeling a bit sad. She is still holding my hand lovingly. She looks up at me. "You know I have only ever seen him smile genuinely when he is with you." My breathing stops. Don't believe it! This was ten years ago! I tell myself.

"Jessica, I-"

"I don't know why he broke up with you. I just know that he did." Tears start pooling in my eyes as his words ring in my head. I got to fuck your father's pride! I can't see to forget them. "But you have to know, everything changed with him after that day. He got so obsessed with becoming rich." She stops like she is remembering something.