Five || Anakin, Meet Kyla

Kyla's POV

I awoke this morning feeling uneasy about the day to come. I knew just what was going to happen; today was the day I left for Coruscant to begin my Jedi training.

They didn't tell me who my Master would be; I secretly hoped for Obi-Wan, as he seemed like a very well-trained wise man who always knew just what he was capable of and what he was doing. I wanted someone like that; someone who could coach me thoroughly and answer my questions no matter what the circumstances. After all, I was inevitably disadvantaged with the ways of the Force, having grown up a slave.

But in these final moments of my slavery, I think of Anakin Skywalker - the one I share this apparent prophecy with. He began as a slave too, and he's become an incredibly powerful Jedi Knight, or so I hear.

Everything happened so fast. I was saddened today as I dressed, and to my rejoice, Desmond leaned in the sandy doorway as I shoved my last garment into some old sack I'd be taking with me.

"I see you're packing," Des' normally happy-go-lucky voice sounds rather dragged today; he appears dubious and doleful, a way I'd never seen my older brother except for when my mother was killed.

"Yeah," I sigh back, sitting on my raggedy bed in this trash room I was given into slavery. "Des, I'm gonna miss you and dad so much."

He shakes his head and walks to sit next to me on the bed. "Naw, don't do that, Kyla." He rubs his bare arm where I catch a glimpse of a throbbing, dark bruise. That damn Gibius, I think. I'll be back to get my revenge on that garbage of a creature. Des almost repeats my thoughts. "One day you'll be back and you'll get me and dad out of here, Ky."

"You're right," I scoff, "I damn will be. And I'm gonna slaughter every slave owner - "

"Whoa there, Ky," laughs Des, but I was being completely serious. They couldn't stay here, my father and Desmond. I was going to return for them and I was going to take them out of here, making sure no other child or adult would ever have to endure something as dreadful as slavery on this horrible planet.

"Anyways, I got you something. To remember me by." He reaches into his tunic and pulls a silver chain out with a heart-shaped locket attached to the end. I stare at the beautiful thing as Des opens it, one side containing an old picture of my father and mother on Tatooine, the other a nice picture of Des and I from when we were younger and my father still owned that rickety old camera before it was confiscated.

"Des..." my voice chokes, as I stare with wide eyes at the necklace, unable to take it into my own grasp. "I... I don't need that. I'll be back, Des. I promise I'll be back for you and dad."

"Take it anyway," he insists, placing the locket over my thick, dark hair. I move my hair out of the way and gently grab the pendant as it hangs from my neck.

"It's so beautiful... Des, where'd you find this?"

"Dad's old box in his room. Things from Naboo. You know, along with all that old Jedi stuff."

I shake my head as I feel a tear slip down my cheek before I could feel it coming to stop it. "And dad said you could give this to me?"

Just then, my father's symbolic calming voice booms from the doorway. "It was our idea," he says, "from us to you. Look at it in Coruscant during your training and your new life, and remember us, not your slavery."

In this moment, I'm overjoyed but deeply saddened. I can't explain what I felt; I instantly hopped off the bed and gathered my father in a large hug. "Thank you," I whisper into his ear. "Take good care of Des, dad. Des..." I release my arms from around my father and turn to face Des, who's still sitting on the bed shining a weakened smile, "Take good care of dad."