Thirty-Six || To Destroy A Star, Save A Princess

Narrator's POV

Anakin arrived back to Padmé's lakeside retreat on Naboo in the dead of the night, only to find she was still awake on the balcony. She had come out when his fighter appeared in the atmosphere, a direct signal to her that he was okay.

"Oh, Anakin," she exhales, embracing him quickly, but with tension.

There was always tension between them now, though they loved each other just the same, it seemed like they were always in danger of something.

He releases her and holds her, looking into her eyes. All he saw in them was Leia... sweet, beautiful Leia that could be undergoing anything at the moment - the unknown. Anakin shutters at the thought, but gets lost in her eyes once more.

"I'm going to get our daughter back," he stays sternly, almost ignoring her greeting, his eyes scanning hers intensely. She could sense how afraid he was - how afraid they both were.

She stares up at him, wondrously searching his own pale eyes. She swallows, resisting crying. She was emotional - very, when it came to their children. "I know you will, Ani, I know," she breathes, embracing him again.

He sighs gently and wraps his arms around her before mumbling, "It won't be easy."

She knew that. They both knew that. It was one of those obvious things that neither of them could seem to let go of, yet they lessened the outcomes for their own pity, their own sakes.

She says nothing for a moment and settles into his chest, letting the thought dawn on her like always. Anakin can sense her fear. At last, she takes a breath, and sadly replies, "I know. But, Anakin, does the Order know?"

Anakin winced at the thought of the Order finding out and being upset. It was irrational, unacceptable for them to be so unconventional towards his small family. What was so wrong with it? He still managed to be the same Jedi he had always been.

But what worried him most was how stressed Padmé was over anyone finding out. He wished he could just expose them without consequence, rid themselves of their fear...

But they couldn't do that.

He swallows and grits his teeth, unclenching them after a split second. He wouldn't allow himself to project his anger around her. She didn't deserve it. "No. They - can't know," he spits out for her sake.

Something about the way he said 'can't' made Padmé feel as though he wanted to tell them. He didn't want to be in hiding anymore. Just like years ago...

I don't care if they know we're married.

Don't say things like that!

She blinks and pulls away from being pressed against him, focusing on trying to change the conversation. She nods solemnly, like she would to the Senate. She was still a senator, after all. She could be solemn, serious when she needed to be. Now, she figured, was one of those times.

"They can't, Anakin. And they won't."

He nods back, slowly, one nod. Then the corner of his lips form a small smile as she continues.

"But I'm glad you're back, Ani. It's been a lingering fear of mine that... she's going to come back..."

His smile fades. He hated to admit, to be proven that all their fear was centered around Demetrious and everything she'd done. Only years ago did she try and summon Anakin himself, now going after his children...

It was all so messed up and scattered in his head. But more than half of his worries he knew he couldn't let Padmé in on. He couldn't afford to worry her; she didn't deserve it.