Chapter 8: The Intriguing Mansion

Wrapped in a towel, Minwoo stood before the mirror and stared at his reflection. His eyes went from brown to a mesmerizing amber, a clear sign of his supernatural essence. Savoring the sensation of his favorite suit's cloth on his skin, he got dressed.

Meanwhile, Jiyeon stood in front of the broken charm case, still thinking about what had happened the night before. She had felt a creeping discomfort ever since she touched the amulet. An eerie sense of being watched followed her every move as if some enigmatic whispers were echoing in her mind.

"What's wrong, Jiyeon?"

The abrupt voice startled her, and as she spun around, she saw Han-neul Oh standing there, his face betraying his concern.

"Oh, Detective Jiyeon," he reprimanded himself hastily, his confusion evident.

Jiyeon gave a subtle nod, her gaze refocusing on the museum's interior. "Do you think he'll come back tonight?" she asked, raising an uneasy eyebrow.

"Who?" Detective Oh asked, giving himself a crease on the forehead. "Who is the Fox in a Suit?"

"Yes. He took the amulet, but other creature...." Jiyeon's words got lost in her thoughts. "Someone else was holding the amulet." She stepped a little and stared at the broken glass case. "Is he still alive?"

"Are you worried about that mischievous thief?" Han-neul Oh asked, looking at her face.

"I'm not worried, just curious," Jiyeon said in a cool voice, but her tone showed that she was worried.

***

Minwoo, dressed as the Fox in a Suit, carefully watched his surroundings from the roof of the old collector's grand house. The sound of dogs barking around the estate caught him off guard and let him know that someone had noticed him. He didn't mean to steal the puzzle parts from the old collector that night; he was just checking out the area. The house was well protected by security cameras, a caring staff, and different kinds of dogs that roamed the grounds.

He thought to himself, "Impressive," with a small smile on his face. His ability to change forms wasn't something he did very often, but tonight seemed like the perfect time to play around with it.

Minwoo jumped off the roof and changed while in the air. He landed gently in the yard of the house, where he looked like a normal employee.

"Senior?"

A voice startled Minwoo, and she turned to face the collector's employee.

With a suspicious look, the staff member asked Minwoo why he was outside.

"Oh, just checking the outside," Minwoo said in a smooth voice, acting like an old collector. "I think I heard a noise."

The staff member nodded, showing that they were happy with the answer. Minwoo took the chance to join the rest of the staff. While he was walking around the house, he was amazed at how well it was put together. Everything in the house, from the roof to the doors, was filled with the collector's huge collection of items.

Minwoo carefully made her way through the house, looking for secret rooms or apartments. When he looked behind a curtain and saw a locked door, it interested him. Without waiting, he quickly opened the door and walked inside. The scene in front of him shocked him.

Ancient items of different kinds were all over the room. Each one had its value and wonder. Being able to understand what he had found made Minwoo feel a rush of excitement. This collection was not like the others because it held the key to long-lost secrets.

As soon as he walked into the room, his attention went to a platform in the middle that held a complicated puzzle piece he had been looking for. He eagerly reached out to grab it and felt the smooth surface with his fingers.

A voice echoed through the room just as he reached out, stopping him in his tracks.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Minwoo found himself in a room full of old items. He paused near the puzzle piece he had been looking for but couldn't quite find it. The old collector, who had fiery eyes, walked up to him while his staff circled him. Minwoo's mind was racing as he tried to find a way out. He felt trapped and circled.

"You are not me." The old man growled and sounded threatened. "Who might you be?"

Minwoo stood firmly, meeting the old collector's stare with an amusing mix of defiance and curiosity. He said with a mischievous grin, "I am your conscience." His goal was to make the owner doubt himself by taking a chance.

The elderly man's eyes first got wider in shock, then got smaller and more suspicious. "A shapeshifter!" he said, pointing accusingly at Minwoo.

Before Minwoo could answer, the door swung open, and the collector's security team rushed into the room. Their bright outfits stood out in the dim light. They moved their armies carefully around Minwoo, giving off a strong sense of determination.

"Guards! Get him!" the old collector yelled, and his voice echoed through the mansion's halls.

Minwoo knew he was in a tough spot. He was up against huge odds that escaped seemed impossible. He never gave up without a fight.

Minwoo quickly used his gumiho skills, which changed and shimmered his look right in front of them. He quickly changed into a fox, with a silver coat and nine beautiful tails.

The sudden change caught the security team off guard for a moment. Minwoo found the best way to pass the time.

Valued items fell when a gumiho leaped onto a neighboring shelf. The guards' frantic pursuit of the fox echoed off the walls.

Minwoo danced between legs and beneath tables, flicking his tail while avoiding capture. He could hear the old collector's angry yells over and over again, which pushed him forward.

The puzzle piece was still on the pedestal when Minwoo ran to the open window. In the chaos, it spoke to him, offering hope.

Minwoo leaped through the window—breaking glass. He could feel the cool night breeze as he fell quickly to the ground.

Minwoo's gumiho instincts for safety slowed his air movement. He fell gracefully on all fours in the mansion garden, where the soft ground cushioned him.

However, time was short. Minwoo instantly acted when he heard pursuit from the mansion behind him. He grabbed the puzzle piece off the ground, feeling its chilly surface.

As Minwoo sprinted toward the mansion's outside wall, his mind raced. The old collector wanted his most valuable piece back, and Minwoo was determined to keep it safe.

Minwoo used his gumiho powers to quickly climb the towering wall. His strong claws grabbed the gritty surface, making wall climbing easy.

Minwoo gazed at the home halfway up. The glass revealed the old collector's angry, irritated figure. It was then that Minwoo understood he had encountered an extremely dangerous human.

It was too late to turn back. Over the wall, Minwoo saw the wide night sky with unlimited possibilities. With his puzzle piece securely in hand, he landed gently on the other side.

As Minwoo slipped into the dark, he felt a rush of joy go through him. He battled danger and won the puzzle piece.

It wasn't over yet. Minwoo knew he was only getting started on solving the Enigma Puzzle. As he moved forward, the huge force felt like it was pressing down on his chest, a constant reminder of the dangers that were waiting for him.

Minwoo was always willing to fight. Gesturing with a determined expression in his amber eyes, he ventured out into the darkness, the puzzle piece gently flickering in his palm.

Anger gripped the old collector as he watched from the window, hands clenched. He wasn't ready for what happened when he didn't realize how powerful the Fox in a Suit was.

He swore into the night, "I will find you," in a voice filled with hate. "And when I do, you will regret ever having the nerve to confront me."

Within seconds, Minwoo was gone, disappearing into the darkness while holding the puzzle piece tightly. His heart was racing with excitement as the cool night air brushed against his skin.