Chapter 23: Protecting the Fox Bead

Jiyeon's things were thrown all over the place when Minwoo attacked the goblin. The powerful blow echoed through the room. Jiyeon was shocked, and her heart was racing so fast that she could barely walk.

"Are you surprised?" Minwoo's words cut through the thick air, and his eyes shone with unshakable determination.

The goblin let out a scary growl as it fixed its horned head on Minwoo. Its sharp claws scraped against the wooden floor, getting ready to strike again.

When Jiyeon watched the scene in front of her, it made her mind go crazy with ideas. There was a strong urge in her to grab her gun, but it was out of reach because her room was so disorganized. Even though she was in her own home, she felt weak and open.

Minwoo dodged the goblin's attack with such ease and accuracy that there was no room for mistake. He dealt the thing a terrible blow to the side with a quick, powerful hit.

The goblin screamed very loudly, and its eyes were red with anger. It quickly lashed out, and Minwoo's face was just barely missed by its hooked hand.

At the same time, Jiyeon's heart was racing with excitement as she watched the dangerous conversation between the gumiho and the monster. She felt a rush of fear and energy all over her body.

"Watch out!" When Jiyeon called out, her voice was tense with need.

Minwoo looked at her briefly, and their eyes met. He looked at her with a fierce resolve, a promise to protect her no matter what.

Once again, Minwoo threw himself at the monster, this time with more resolve. His hands moved quickly and precisely, hitting with great accuracy. When the goblin fought back, its claws cut through the air with deadly determination.

Jiyeon felt like she couldn't breathe as she watched the intense fight happen right in front of her. When she saw Minwoo's amazing skill and bravery, her heart raced and she felt a lot of different feelings.

Minwoo hit the goblin in the chest with a powerful blow that hit him right away. The creature let out a primal howl of pain before collapsing to the ground and turning into a whirling mist of dark vapor.

Jiyeon watched with bated breath and shaking hands as the gumiho stood tall and proud, having defeated the goblin. He was breathing heavily, and sweat was all over his face.

"Are you okay?" He turned to Jiyeon and asked, his voice full of raw emotion.

That's what Jiyeon said, but she couldn't say it out loud. It was all she could think about what had happened that night. Her mind was full of questions and a feeling of unease.

After the excitement wore off, Jiyeon's legs started to feel weak. While she was falling, her back hit the edge of her bed. Minwoo quickly ran to her side and wrapped his strong arms around her, making her feel safe.

Miniwoo whispered, "You're safe now." His soft voice soothed Jiyeon's hurt feelings.

When the gumiho saved him, she couldn't believe it. He had a lot of questions and didn't know what feelings he would be experiencing at that very moment. His thoughts were all over the place.

When Jiyeon was feeling down, she found comfort in Minwoo's hug. She wanted protection and comfort. She could feel his strong, steady beating under her cheek.

They held each other tightly for a while while they were in that hug. Jiyeon was surrounded by a calm and peaceful feeling that had been missing from her life for too long.

Even though she hugged Minwoo, she couldn't get rid of the uneasy feeling that was still in the back of her mind. As of that evening, there were still a lot of open questions and mysteries surrounding what had happened.

"You saved me, but why?" As she pressed against Minwoo's chest, Jiyeon whispered, but her words were hard to make out.

He told her, "I didn't save you. I saved the fox bead."

Jiyeon suddenly let go of the hug. "The fox bead?" she asked, showing that she didn't understand.

"Of course," Minwoo said. "Take it easy and don't get too carried away. I saved my fox bead, not you."

When Jiyeon looked at the thing in front of her, she was torn between wanting to give it a hard slap and quickly killing it with a well-aimed shot that would erase it from existence. That fox bead is more important than his very life.

When Minwoo got up from his seat, he looked around. "Your house is a mess, detective."

"You're to blame. You brought that thing into my house and smashed it to pieces. Well..." Minwoo quickly put his hand over her mouth to block out what Jiyeon was saying, and she stopped talking all of a sudden.

"Women can be very loud," Minwoo complained. "I want you to leave this house."

Jiyeon quickly took her hand away from her mouth. "What?" Her shock was obvious as she thought about what he said. "Who do you think you are telling me what to do?"

Minwoo put his hand over Jiyeon's mouth again to stop her talking. "You should listen to what I say if you want to stay alive. Move into my house."

Jiyeon had to put her hand over her mouth again. "I won't let you fool me." Jiyeon said, "I've read about foxes with nine tails. You want me to move in with you so you can eat me."

Minwoo fixed his eyes on Jiyeon. Inching closer to Jiyeon, she naturally steps back away out of fear.

Jiyeon gasped as she pushed her back against the wall. She mustered the courage to attack, but she didn't know what her fight with the gumiho was about. Jiyeon quickly threw a punch, but the gumiho dodged it with skill.

When Jiyeon tried to hit the gumiho in the face, her hand was quickly taken away. Not giving up, she quickly moved to her other hand, but the gumiho was just as quick to grab it. When she tried to use both legs, they wouldn't move, which surprised her. She looked down at her leg with a shocked expression on her face. The tails that were wrapped around her limbs made it hard for her to move.

"Yes, you did keep me safe from that creature, but you are the one who has..." The gumiho suddenly leaned in, putting his face almost too close to Jiyeon's, leaving her words unfinished. On her own, Jiyeon closed her eyes and turned away.

Minwoo smiled slyly and leaned close to Jiyeon so that his voice was hard to hear. "Detective, I'm giving you the option to keep living." If you keep my fox bead, they might come after you," Minwoo said. "Not just a goblin."

When Jiyeon turned around, he saw him. It looked like their lips were about to touch, but Minwoo quickly pulled his face away.

"Well, detective. If you refuse, I will go. You seem pretty brave, don't you?" Minwoo asked. Minwoo took Jiyeon's hand off of the gun and put it gently in her palm. "You don't have enough strength to fight mythical threats."

Jiyeon couldn't say anything for a moment. She couldn't stop thinking about what happened that night, so she had to hide out in the gumiho's house to stay alive. Only half of her chances of life are good if she goes with the gumiho.

The gumiho caught Jiyeon's attention. When she carefully thought about what had happened, she realized that the gumiho, despite how distant he seemed, could not hurt her or kill her. She can promise her safety from any animal, even the gumiho, as long as she agrees to live in his house while she has the important thing.

"Why don't I just stay here and let you protect me? I mean your fox bead. I don't see any reason for me to live in your house," Jiyeon said.

Minwoo smiled in a naughty way. "So you're considering making me your full-time bodyguard?" Minwoo said. "All creatures can't just walk into my territory whenever they want."

"I don't want to live in the woods. And in the caves," Jiyeon said. "I get colds easily," she said.

Minwoo made an eyebrow raise. 'Does she think I inhabit the woods like some other animal?' he thought

"Are you saying you're not going to take my offer?" Minwoo asked.

Jiyeon said, "No." She took a deep breath. "I'm too young to die. I'm willing to take your offer."

"What are you waiting for? Pack your things. I'll be back," Minwoo said.

"What?" Jiyeon said, surprised. "Are you leaving?" she asked, her worry growing. "What if that thing comes back?"

Minwoo smiled naughtily. "Detective, you count on me too much. I'll be back."

"Wait a minute!" the gumiho left for good. "That fox!" Jiyeon couldn't contain her irritation.

She turned around in her house. It would be a long night.