Chapter 29: The Mansion's Danger

The Moonlight Mansion was tense as Minwoo's frantic footsteps echoed through the hallways. Returning, he was thinking only of how urgent Jiyeon's need for help was. He was excited at every stride, resolution, and worry pulsing through his heart.

Jiyeon, meanwhile, was lying on the floor in Hye-sun's room, her head spinning from the unanticipated turn of events. With her remarks full of danger and warning, Hye-sun had had a firm hold on her jaw. Emotions running high, and Jiyeon was not sure how to make sense of what was happening.

"I won't grant you the same amount of protection as others, so be wary, human," Hye-sun said, resonating in Jiyeon's head and chilling her to her bones.

Though anxious, Jiyeon's interest never wavered. She had a strong feeling that Hye-sun had a darker side to her than her outwardly kind manner. And, whatever the consequences, she had no choice but to reveal the truth.

Jiyeon was drawn to the old scrolls and blazing flames that surrounded Hye-sun as she got to her feet. The candle flame unintentionally touched Jiyeon's clothing, scalding her flesh with the pouring hot wax. Panic struck her at this unplanned event. She hesitated, not sure which issue to tackle first, between putting out the fire on her garments and attending to the searing wax on her flesh.

Hye-sun was laughing so hard in the middle of her anguish that the room was filled with a sick delight at Jiyeon's situation.

Jiyeon's worry increased when she realized her hair was on fire and the stench of burned hair filled the air before long.

"Gah!" Fear coursing through her, Jiyeon said fiercely.

Hye-sun mocked, "Hmph, weakling," her laughing resonating through the room.

Driven by an adrenaline surge, Jiyeon moved quickly. The image that greeted her along the hallway as she opened the door startled her. At the far end stood Minwoo, the intimidating Gumiho, his face unflinching and resolute as he boldly advanced.

With an almost obvious voice, Jiyeon stammered, "G-Gumiho."

Minwoo looked at her for a while, then pushed her away with such power that it caught her off guard. Jiyeon staggered and went down, admiring and fearing at the same time. But as she was beginning to understand the circumstances, the Gumiho girl Hye-sun suddenly moved in her direction, obviously intending to hurt her.

The two Gumiho, Minwoo and Hye-sun, got into a furious fight, their acts a tornado of speed and fury. Both of them, reluctant to give up, fought for dominance with gnashing fangs and crackling electricity in the air.

The fierceness with which Minwoo and Hye-sun engaged charged the air. Every assault was carried out with exact precision, their movements swift and elegant. Minwoo held his blade with such skill that it cut through the air with the ideal mix of force and elegance. But Hye-sun moved around him with elegance, her double-bladed sword sparkling in the low light.

Their struggle had the eerie harmony of swords and blood of a lethal dance. Minwoo drove on, every move well thought out to get the edge, his eyes burning with unflinching determination. Though she was smaller, Hye-sun showed herself to be an intimidating rival, giving him a run with her cunning and speed.

Sweat beads fell down their foreheads as they slowly circled one another, each watching intently for any opening in the defense of their rival. Their swords clashing sounded along the hallway, a shudder running down Jiyeon's spine.

Minwoo raced quickly forward with an abrupt acceleration of speed, his blade flashing as it went for Hye-sun's chest. She quickly dodged his assault, however, and blocked it. Minwoo, frustrated, stepped up his attack, his movements becoming more and more frantic as he tried to overwhelm his rival.

Still, Hye-sun proved to be a very tough opponent. She moved elegantly to avoid Minwoo's assault and then quickly answered with a well-timed blow of her own. The force of their second clash of weapons echoed down the hallway.

As she saw the two Gumiho fight fiercely, their skill and brutality were unsurpassed, and Jiyeon was left in total amazement. Heart pounding in her chest, she realized how serious their argument was and how their fight would turn out.

Minwoo and Hye-sun seemed to be well-matched as the fight went on, each adamant about retaining their footing. Suddenly, however, Minwoo found a newfound strength and prevailed, his blade dangerously near Hye-sun's heart.

Minwoo said, his eyes blazing with resolve, "Give up, Hye-sun."

But Hye-sun's sneering, her eyes defiant, was unavoidable. "Never," she said in a snide whisper.

Minwoo sprang forward with a great shout, overwhelming Hye-sun and knocking her to the floor. Held just above her chest, the sword was prepared to make the killing blow.

Heart thumping in her ears, Jiyeon watched the two Gumiho's tense standoff. Their argument would determine her fate, so all she could hope was that Minwoo would prevail.

With Minwoo gripping his blade tighter and his eyes firmly set on Hye-sun, the room was packed with tension. Equivalently determined, Hye-sun looked at him, her barriers in place, a low murmur coming from her throat.

Suddenly the door opened, and Ryu and Aya rushed into the room, worried looks on their faces as they took in the sight that was developing. They moved at once to step in and shield Minwoo and Hye-sun from any possible danger.

"What is happening, Minwoo?" Holding fast, Ryu pulled Minwoo away from Hye-sun.

Frustrated and determined at the same time, Minwoo looked back at Hye-sun. Sharp and frigid, he added, "I won't hesitate to kill you, Hye-sun, if you try to harm Detective Jiyeon again."

Ryu and Aya glanced at one other nervously, then turned to face Jiyeon, who was sitting close by and shocked. She looked at them, without blinking, her eyes enlarging with a combination of awe and terror.

Ryu released Minwoo as his sword suddenly disappeared. Minwoo stepped determinedly up to Jiyeon, bringing himself down to her level and putting on a sincere look of worry.

Inquiring in a tone full of worry and haste, "Are you alright?"

Still staring at Minwoo, Jiyeon nodded slowly, not knowing how to answer. Minwoo quickly flung out and grabbed a strand of her burned hair before she could respond, his eyes riveted to hers.

"I'm sorry I was late," he said softly, feeling bad about being late.

Unexpectedly, Gumiho took Jiyeon away, leaving Ryu, Aya, and Hye-sun behind and unable to respond in time.

As Hye-sun watched them leave, her face turned angry, and she could feel the stress in the room slowly dissipate.

***

Minwoo accompanied Jiyeon to her room. Standing before her, he set Jiyeon down on the bed. Jiyeon gave him a sidelong look.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Minwoo asked.

"I would be lying if I said I was fine. Of course, I am not." Says Jiyeon.

Minwoo agreed. "I understand."

"This place is just like my flat. I worry about my life too." Jiyeon replied, her voice trembling with repressed emotions. "I'm brave enough to become a police officer, but I am nothing against creatures like you."

Minwoo stopped, taking a long breath, his eyes still glued on Jiyeon. His ongoing frustration with the Enigma Puzzle only makes him irritated. He said nothing to keep his cool and let the detective tell her how she felt.

"I'm going back to my flat," Jiyeon said, firmly.

Rising from her chair, she headed for the cabinet holding her luggage. Minwoo looked at her for quite a long.

"If it is your wish, I won't get in the way," Minwoo commented as he left the room.

Emotions swirled around Jiyeon as she watched Minwoo go. About her decision to leave the mansion, she was divided. She couldn't get over the uncomfortable meeting with Hye-sun, which made her nervous. However, she couldn't help but feel a sense of unease about staying in a place teeming with strange creatures.

Heart pounding in her chest, she considered her options. Should she stay and investigate the animals that have been plaguing her, as well as the Fox Bead? Should she brave the unknown world she had unintentionally joined, or should she go back to her apartment?

Jiyeon looked down at the Fox Bead softly lying on her bosom as she considered her choices. It seemed to shine subtly as if it were pushing her to accept the strange and overcome the challenges that awaited. She looked intently at it.

"I can't leave," Jiyeon said in a whisper. "When so much is at risk, no."

Jiyeon mustered all her will and got up from her seat. She walked up to the window and stared at the moonlight countryside, captivated by its otherworldly beauty.

"I'm not going away," Jiyeon said with a hard, unwavering determination. "The notorious trickster known as the Fox in a Suit—an actual Gumiho—is still on my trail. My objective is? Take him down and put him in jail. But catching him isn't the only priority; I must also discover his hiding place for the valuable artifacts he has stolen."

Once she'd decided, Jiyeon turned away from the window and headed back to her bed. Knowing she had chosen bravely to take on her problems head-on gave her a great feeling of empowerment, even in the face of the unknowns that remained ahead.

After settling into bed, Jiyeon closed her eyes and felt a surge of determination. Whatever was ahead, she was ready to face it head-on and with courage.

End of Chapter 29