Part 35

Italics is French

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐡 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐱:

"ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?" Francesca screams.

Her fist slammed into the wall before she could even comprehend it. A frustrated scream leaving her lips as she punched the wall again.

"Francesca!" Celine Lewis gasps, walking towards her daughter.

"It was my fucking win!" Francesca half-shouts. "I was leading, I was faster!"

"I know." Celine sighs. "I know."

"I just want to be good enough, maman." Francesca whispers. "Why am I never good enough."

Celine pulled her daughter into her arms before she could punch the wall again. Francesca buried her head into the crook of her mum's neck, letting out a small sob as she wrapped her arms around her mum, basking in the sense of home that Celine Lewis provided her with.

"You are good enough, Cesca." Celine whispers. "They just can't see it yet."

"But I'm leading, maman. I'm the one leading the championship yet Max is still favoured."

"And Max disagrees with what happened." Celine sighs. "He's been in Christian's office shouting at him for the last half an hour - Max knows how good you are, Christian just won't see it."

"If I'm so good why am I the one who gets sacrificed?"

Francesca pulled away from her mother when the door opened, turning her back and wiping at her eyes before pushing her fingers through her hair.

"Fran?" Max's voice echoes.

"I'll let you talk." Celine smiles in Francesca's direction. "Don't kill each other."

Max stepped out of the way, watching the door shut behind Celine Lewis before turning his attention to his teammate. Francesca had slumped onto the sofa, elbows on her knees and head in her hands as she gripped at the roots of her hair.

"I'm sorry." Max whispers.

"It wasn't your fault." Francesca says quickly. "You didn't ask to pass me."

"I refused." Max says, taking a seat next to her. "Everyone knew I wasn't faster, I could barely keep Lewis behind me and you had disappeared off up the road."

"Don't apologise for winning." Francesca sighs. "That's what Seb said."

"But I'm going to apologise for a win that shouldn't have been mine in the first place."

Francesca shakes her head, leaning back against the sofa and running her hands down her face.

"I think I'm more pissed off about the fact I let myself get beaten by two Merc's." She mutters.

"I really didn't like having to share the podium with Lewis and George." Max laughs. "Its much more fun with you and Charles."

Francesca chuckled, a small smile pulling at her lips which quickly disappeared when Niki knocked on the door and told the two of them that Christian was ready to start the debrief.

Francesca dragged her feet as she walked behind Max, running her fingers through her hair. She'd had a pit in her stomach, a mixture of different emotions, ever since she'd been told to let Max past in the race and no matter what she did, nothing seemed to make it go away. She hesitated at the door to the debrief room, looking to Max who had just walked in and was holding the door open for her, he gave her a subtle nod of his head which left Francesca taking a deep breath before stepping into the room.