Chapter 12: Sarah

I like Jake. I realised it yesterday.

After having a violent cough episode, Jake decided to run and get me some water, leaving Hannah at the foot of the bed.

"Where are my parents?" Every word scratched my throat.

"On their way. They're just finishing things at their workplace."

I nodded. I should have known that the answer will always be something along the lines of 'at work'.

"Why are you holding your head down?"

They sighed. "Because I'm sorry, Sarah. If I had just picked you up, you wouldn't be in hospital right now."

I furrowed my eyebrows. I supposed I always knew they were faking but now I could ask them. Indirectly, of course. "You can't help being sick."

"That's the thing. I wasn't sick."

"So why'd you lie?"

Silence.

"Do you like Jake?"

Their eyes bulged out their head. "What? Like, like like? Never! What gave you that impression?"

I coughed, "Because Jake was with Lily yesterday and they were acting all friendly and flirty. Then you ran off looking hot and bothered. What else am I to think?"

Hannah laughed. "Sarah?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't even like boys. Or girls for that matter."

I sat up. "So what do you like?"

"Myself. That's all I know and need to know. Now, what's all this about?"

"Nothing."

They walked up to the head of the bed and sat next to me on the chair Jake had been sitting on.

"Are you sure? Because it sounds to me that someone in this room does like Jake and isn't me."

"But we're the only two people in the room."

"Exactly."

They sat there waiting for the penny to drop and when it did I immediately denied it.

"Sarah, this is a classic case of projecting. You should have seen your face when you were talking about him and Lily. Let's just say, I'm not the one who's hot and bothered."

I ignored them. I bit my tongue and turned my back and tried so hard not to turn back. Then I wavered. "Do you think Jake and Lily like each other?"

"Probably," They paused, clearly trying to hide a look of concern and then seemingly forced themself to smile and continue, "Just how you probably like Jake."

I was going to question the expression but decided to leave them.

"I can't like Jake. I've known him since we were three."

"And I've known you guys since we were eleven. What's your point?"

"My point is I can't like Jake... can I?"

It looked as though they were about to respond but were interrupted by Jake coming in with a litre bottle of water. Just as well because I could feel another episode coming on.

I realised I like Jake. That's why our little moment had to end.

He doesn't see me in that way. And that's okay. I know he likes Lily, and that's okay. But I'm not okay. And until I'm okay with it, I just can't be friends with him as it wouldn't be fair to the both of us.

I didn't exactly mean to tell him that I liked him, but, what can I say, the words just slipped out. At least he knows now and at least he knows it's not his fault.