Chapter 14: Lily

I went into the office with a bored look on my face. I had just found out I had to write an article on the fire in the shopping centre. Then I saw Jake. The look on his face scared me.

"Are you okay?" Jake looked like death warmed up. I sat down next to him, waiting for him to respond.

"Yep. Just writing up the draft for the article on the "Wandering Woe" killer I was talking about."

Keep your cool, Lily.

"Umm... you finished your research?"

He continued to intensely type on the computer. "Yep."

"So... what did you find out?" I sat down next to him nervously. Why was I so nervous?

"That he's a piece of filth. He deserves to die." Jake showed me his computer. "Do you see that right paragraph here? Read it out."

I cleared my throat. "His presumed first victim was 21 year old Freddy Nownan. The autopsy results suggest he received blunt force trauma to the head. He was then hung and had various heavy objects thrown at him, which led to broken bones and internal bleeding. He was then left to starve for an entire month before he died a painful death."

Looking like he was about to cry, he said "And do you know what he did to his girlfriend?" I shook my head. "He stabbed her, hung her on a tree in a forest, waited for her to die and then raped her."

"That's not true!" It was as if something came over me- the words just spilled out. Jake looked at me stunned.

"I mean, that can't be true. Nobody's that cruel." I was right. Nobody was that cruel. Jessica was not raped, what was he going on about?

He sighed. "That's what I wanted to believe. but forensics show otherwise. She had semen-"

"And why do you assume that he was the one who did it? In fact, why do you think it was a 'he' in the first place? It could very well be a woman." I should have stopped but I continued, "A killer and a necrophiliac are two different things, being one does not mean you are the other. Someone else must have done it after she died." I then stormed off and went to my desk.

I didn't look at Jake, but I could only imagine the look on his face.
Piece of filth? Deserves to die? First Sarah and now Jake.

Why is everyone against me?