Chapter 2: Jake

It's basically a routine at this point. It happens every Monday, without fail. Sarah picks on me for something dumb and then Hannah gets upset which in turn makes Sarah upset.
That means today is probably going to be a good day.
Starting the morning with my friends might just make it a good day. Let's hope I get to end the work day with them as well.

I have to report on a serial killer called the "Wandering Woe". It's not the most menacing of names, in my humble opinion, but I suppose it gets the job done. They just go around to different towns, and then kill people. Mostly men, I think. I wanted today to be a good day, but researching this guy might bring my mood down.

Oh, well. Nothing lasts forever.

"Jake, nice to see you!" Mr Bower shouted. I don't really like him. He's always making me do dumb stuff, like getting coffee for everyone and he doesn't really listen to my ideas. Maybe, they just aren't that good.

"I was wondering if you could take care of the new employee for me! Did you see what I did there? You're doing a section on the Wandering Woe, and so I said I was wondering-"

"Don't worry, Mr Bower. I got it." I think the saddest part was that he seemed to be using 100% of his brain capacity on that one.

"So, how about it? Will you take care of her for me?"

"Sure, Mr Bower."

"Good, I'll send her down."

The girl wore...clothes. I was going to describe them to you but I literally can't remember anything about her clothing. I know she had long black hair. I know that because she always flicks it over her neck. She's pretty as well, at least by my standards. I don't know about yours but she looked really pretty to me.

She held her hand out. "Hello. My name is Lily."

I shook said hand. "My name is Jake."

"Can you show me around?"

I could show her around, it was just a question of whether I wanted to or whether I would. I decided I might as well, since I knew I didn't actually have a choice. Besides, anything that kept me away from discovering the sick, twisted world of the "Wandering Woe" was gladly welcomed.

"So why'd you wanna work here?" I asked while we walked up the stairs. I was trying to take her to the canteen because I thought that it was one of the most important places in the entire building. I still do.

"Same reason you do. I love journalism."

"Who said I love journalism?"

She paused and looked at me with a somewhat confused expression. "Well I assumed so since you work in a media organisation. Do you not like working here?"

I didn't really know how to answer that question. I don't even know why I responded like that in the first place. It was almost like an instinct. I began to walk again.

"I don't mind working here, it's just-"

"Not what you envisioned for your life?"

"Sure. Let's go with that."

I'm not sure how but she somehow managed to sum up exactly what I've been feeling for the past 5 years. That's a talent not even I have managed to master.