Prologue

Finishing the eleventh grade, Abby was ready for a relaxing summer. She knows this summer will not be like the previous ones, which saddened her, but it paved the way for new ones. 

In the fall, she'll be entering her senior year of high school and applying for university. Everyone in her grade was filling their school holidays to the brim with extra curricular activities to put on their college applications. Abby, however, has been working on her application since the end of tenth grade which meant, she's not panicking like the rest, she will be having a well earned break. 

That doesn't mean she's doing absolutely nothing, she's still got other projects to do, but they won't be as intense as they were throughout the academic year. One thing she's really looking forward to was cheer camp. It happened every year during the summer and was open for cheerleaders, experienced and new, across the country.

 The camp focused on getting back to basics, improving techniques, and bonding as a team. Participants had three chances to go, one week in June, one week in July, and one week in August. They could only attend one, not all three. It gave people who were on holiday a chance to be there. In the previous years, Abby went to the August sessions because she'd be in Cousins for the summer.

This year, due to a tragic loss, she'll be going earlier in the summer. The best part was that her sister, Josie, was attending for the first time with her. She didn't go last year, but after cheering Belly at the Play It Forward volleyball tournament, she wanted to try it out for real. Josie joined her big sister's local cheer club and loved it. It brought the sisters closer together.

Abby also got her driver's license and was gifted her father's old car as a late birthday present. He was due for an upgrade, so he thought it would be less hassle to give his eldest child the old car. Her parents agreed to pay for the car if she paid for gas herself. She has a job, so that was a fair deal. 

Everyone knew summer was not going to be the same, the sunshine that was once Susannah Fisher, had passed away recently, her funeral just weeks ago. Life has not been the same with her gone, and Abby accepted that. It was normal for things to go wrong when people lose someone or something important.

But it wasn't normal how screwed up their little group was, their supposed family. 

Their once lively group chat was inactive. Social interactions were non existent. You'd think a tragedy like this would bring them closer, but somehow, it pulled them further apart, and in the middle, was Abby. 

She was doing her best to be there for all her friends and family, but who was there for her?

It was clear she the rock everyone relied on, so she didn't complain or crack, because if she did, she feared everyone else would crumble too. 

At the last minute, her plans for summer changed. Old feelings she thought were buried, resurfaced and new ones appeared.

How will she do this summer?