Catch Ups

"Conrad," a voice spoke in the house

Conrad looked at me confused and I sheepishly looked away, "I may have told Jez where you were..."

"Why?" 

"Because he was worried about you and this affects him too."

"Connie, you here man?" Jeremiah's voice got clearer as he ventured further into the home.

Conrad and I stood up when the youngest Fisher came into view. 

"What the hell man? I've been calling and texting. Why haven't you answered your phone?"

"I-I'm sorry, okay, I've just been a little distracted," Conrad explained.

"A little distracted? No, no, dude that's not- that's not a good enough reason." Jeremiah glanced between us when she shared a look. "What's going on?"

"Jere, the house has been put up for sale," Conrad said.

"What do you mean the house is for sale?" Belly announced her presence as she spoke. 

Conrad and I turned to her, I was happy to see her, but Conrad was on the opposite end of scale. His body was rigid, his eyes were dim, you can tell he was taking the defensive mode.

"What is she doing here?" he said looking at her, void of affection. 

Belly was hurt, her face said it all. I can't blame her, it's not like she's a random ex, she's our best friend, well, mine and Jeremiah's at least.

We have not been in the same room since Aunt Susie's funeral, and that did not end well.

Jeremiah spoke to take his brother's attention from his ex, "So this is why you haven't answered any of my phone calls and text?"

"Jere, Jere," the older Fisher brother removed his eyes from his previous lover to address him, "Did you not hear what I just said? We're gonna lose this house, Mom's house."

"Why would your dad sell this house?" cut in Belly.

"He's not," I answered, "It's their Aunt Julia, Aunt Susie's sister."

"Half sister," Conrad corrected. "Apparently, the house belonged to the both of them. And then when Mom... Now Aunt Julia owns the whole thing, so..."

"Okay, we'll just call Dad and figure something out," suggested Jeremiah, "That's it-"

"You think I haven't already done that? He says legally the house is hers."

"Okay, then he'll by it back."

"He doesn't have the money to buy it," Conrad spoke frustratedly, "between Brown and the medical bills and the-"

"Yeah, I know how much the medical bills cost because I was there."

It was like watching a ping pong match, a very uncomfortable match. Conrad would ping, then Jeremiah would pong. Poor Belly and I had to watch the once thick as thieves brothers go back and forth, each getting annoyed at the other as the conversation continued.