Not The Beach House

Author's note: Any speech or talking "" in bold means it's spoken in Italian. I do not want to butcher the language and google translate is not always accurate.

 I do not want to butcher the language and google translate is not always accurate

"Good morning sweet heart," Nonna said with her bright smile.

"Good morning," I responded kissing her cheek, then doing the same for Pappy who was at the other end of the table reading a newspaper. I thought newspapers would be done by now, but I guess it appeals to the older generation. 

"Any plans for today? I was thinking of taking you, your brother, and sister to the ice cream shop," spoke Nonna.

"Uh, I can't, Jeremiah called last night," I said biting into the fresh croissant.

"Is everything okay?"

"No, not really. Conrad's missing. He's not answering his phone and it's making Jeremiah worried. He's going to check Brown uni and I said I'll check the beach house since I'm here." As I spoke, I saw them share a look when I mentioned the beach house. I studied their demeanour, how it changed from calm to tense. 

"Mia nipote, there's something you should know, about the beach house," Pappy spoke having my full attention as I ate. "The beach house is being sold."

Excuse me?

I chuckled softly, "I'm sorry, it sounded like you said the beach house is being sold."

"I did," he confirmed with a sad look. 

He wasn't joking, this was real.

"What? I-uh, What?!" 

"We went for a drive earlier this week, and saw a for sale sign in the front yard," Nonna explained. "I'm sorry, we were meant to tell you yesterday, but you just arrived and was hungry and tired. We thought it'd be too much."

"They've sold the beach house?" I asked in disbelief.

"No," Pappy shook his head, "no deals have been made as far as we know, but it's up for sale."

"I'm sorry, mia nipote," Nonna spoke sympathetically. 

"But- this can't happen," I said lowly. 

I could not believe my ears, not the beach house, anything but that house. It's the last connection we all have to Susannah, obviously we have other things, but me, my siblings, the moms, my friends, that beach house was like another home, it is another home. 

And now, it would belong to someone else, or worse, it could be torn down. 

Oh my God, Jeremiah and Conrad! 

I wandered if they knew about this. Perhaps this was why Conrad disappeared, he learned of the news and took off. I'm not going to burden Jeremiah with this just yet, we need to find Conrad first, and I bet £1,000,000 that he's at that beach house. Whether he knows it's being sold or not, it's still his safe place since Aunt Susie got sick again.