Daddy Says No

Conrad and I walked round the front of the the house to be met with Jeremiah and Belly holding shopping bags

"You guys went to the store?" Conrad asked.

"Uh, we actually thought about leaving, but then we decided not to listen to you," answered Belly.

"We didn't just get groceries," Jeremiah started to say, "We actually went to see Aunt Julia. Didn't Abby tell you?"

Their gaze fell to me who smiled innocently, "must have slipped my mind when were talking. Whoops. How's about Belly and I put these away," I said reaching for the bag in Jeremiah's hand and giving her a look to give the brothers some space. 

"Uh, yeah, yeah," she said following me inside. 

"So... how are you here?" I questioned as I unloaded the groceries.

"What do you mean?" she laughed confused.

"I've met your mom, if she could, she'd keep you and Steven round her chest in those baby holders."

"Actually..."

"She doesn't know you're here," I finished for her.

She nodded sheepishly, "yeah."

I smirked, "My, my, my, little Isabel Conklin. You snuck out to go somewhere five hours away from home? I'm impressed- shocked, but impressed."

"My mom's in New York for her new book."

"She has a new book?" 

"Yeah, it's the one she wrote about Susannah."

I made an O shape with my mouth and nodded, "and she thinks you're where exactly?"

"At Taylor's."

I studied her movements around the kitchen, "things at home not good?"

She sighed, "they're not the best."

"Would you like to talk about it?" I sat on a stool at the breakfast bar. "I'm all ears."

She joined me at the seat, "she's been so distant since the whole Susannah thing. She didn't come to any of my volleyball games, which by the way, I was demoted from being captain off," my eyebrows were raised, she's amazing at that sport. I wonder what happened. "She hasn't been there, not to mention Steven and I had a massive fight at that graduation party. I haven't spoken to him since."

"Does he know you're here?" 

She shook her head, "Taylor's covering for me."

"Right," I nodded. "Wait, with the whole volleyball thing, does that mean you're not going to camp too?" She nodded averting her eyes from mine. "No. Absolutely not, Bells. You're going to that volleyball camp."

"Abby, I can't, my coach doesn't even want me there."

"Screw the coach. What does your team think? It'll be them playing with you, not your coach."