End of Term

*Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing*

"Okay, guys. Don't forget to do the summer reading and the worksheets, there will be a quiz when you come back," my teacher said from the front of the classroom, "use your summers wisely, okay. This fall, you'll be seniors, so start thinking about your college applications, the personal statements and extra activities you want to add. Don't leave it till the last minute. Now get out of here. Have a great summer."

The students cheered, smiles all around as we packed away the stationery into our school bags. Those will not be used all summer until the last two weeks before school starts where we're procrastinating to get our homework done.

Leaving the classroom, I ventured to my locker with my friends then we broke away with a hug and wishes of a happy summer. As I opened my locker, I patted myself on the back for clearing it throughout the week. I didn't want to spend time doing it on the last day. There was still a textbook and folders from my earlier classes, but no other heavy lifting.

When the locker was cleared of my school supplies, I turned to the photos I had attached to the side with Blu tack. Some of my family, others of friends back in London and here at school. My eyes gazed upon the photos of my recent summer in Cousins, Belly and I in our debutante ball dresses, Steven, Jeremiah and Conrad posing with us in their suits. 

One by one, I removed the pictures, grouping the sticky tack into a ball, and placing them in my bag. I was not going to leave them in here, collecting dust until I returned in September. A sad smiled fell onto my face as I saw the last picture to be taken down. 

It was a selfie of Conrad and I when I went to visit him at Brown University. It was his second week there, and with all the stress about his mom's sickness and not being home with Jeremiah, I wanted to check on him. Plus, I missed my best friend. 

(❁'◡'❁) Flashback Starts (❁'◡'❁)

I got off the bus after thanking the driver. The warm late summer/early autumn breeze was lovely this morning and the sun was bright as ever. 

I was at Brown University to visit Conrad. He does not know that I'm here, it's a surprise. 

After ending our summer with some heart breaking news about Aunt Susie's cancer, I've been keeping an extra close eye on the Fisher brothers. They both are good at putting up a front to fool people that they are fine. But I know them, I know their tells, their tells are telling me that they are not fine. Why would they be?  It's unrealistic for anyone to expect them to be chipper when their mother is dying. 

I see Jeremiah more than Conrad since the latter is now at college, but that doesn't mean my love is limited. I looked at the text message I screenshotted from Conrad a while ago, it was when he first moved to Brown and told me about his dorm and where it was.