Saying Goodbye In the Right Way

"It's sold? You-you sold this house in the last twelve hours?" Conrad asked in disbelief

"Yes," Julia nodded, "to a lovely older couple. They said it was perfect for when their grandkids come to visit. The wife loved the house minute she saw it and made an offer. The husband made not objections."

All I'm thinking about are who these vultures are, swooping in and taking what's ours- well, the Fisher's.

"Well, it can't just be over," Jeremiah said not believing this was it.

"It is," said Julia, "Uh, I'm gonna need your keys, please." 

The boys reached into their pockets and removed the key from their keychains.

"I'll bet you're really enjoying this," Conrad commented bitterly.

"Mom," spoke Skye, "don't do this."

Julia looked at her child confused, "Skye, really?" She addressed the brothers, "I told you two I'm selling the house. You just refused to believe it. And I'm not enjoying it, but I will admit, I'm relieved it's finally over. Come on, Skye," she said excusing herself from the the group, her child following. 

We gathered in the kitchen, I was sitting on the counter swinging my legs to distract myself as Jeremiah spoke.

"Okay. So, I know things aren't going so great right now, but it's always the darkest before the dawn, right?"

Conrad shook his head, "Yeah, not this time."

The door closes and we turned to see Skye enter apologetically, "Um... I'm sorry. I tried to get her to call off the deal."

"It's not on you, Skye," mumbled Conrad.

"I know, but she's my mom, so I would get it if you guys were angry with me, too. I just can't deal with her right now."

I really admired Skye for speaking up to her mom, it must not have been easy for her. She saw the magic in this place, Aunt Susie would be smiling brightly at her.

Jeremiah wrapped an arm round them, "Hey, no one's mad at you, Skye." 

"Aunt Susie always said this place was magical, so at least you got to feel that, even for a couple of hours," I said smiling at them.

"So what?" Steven said leaning over the counter, "we're supposed to go home now?"

"Yeah, it's over," Conrad said defeated.

Belly was not having it, "No. Our-our last memory here can't be this. Everyone miserable and defeated. I mean, this place deserves a better goodbye than that."

"Like what?"

"My mom came to the beach house with Susannah for the first time after her dad died, and it was supposed to be just the two of them, but Susannah hated how empty the house felt, so she decided to throw a huge party. Everyone was dancing and drinking, and they went swimming at midnight. Susannah said it was like Gatsby or something. So I say that we throw a party too."