25. I didn't mean to hurt you

Training is very intense today. We have a big game tomorrow so everyone is feeling the pressure. Taking a short water break I give Katie a nod.

While I'm training I try not to let her distract me which is hard because she's so stunning but I've gotten better at it throughout our relationship. We stay professional on the pitch.

We're playing a match and get split into teams. My team is , me, Caitlin, Leah and Steph and Katie, viv, Vic and Beth on the other, and we're playing each other.

Our team is winning 1-0 and the game is nearly over. I had the ball at my feet running towards the goal when I'm tripped. I fall forward my cheek making contact with the hard ground before the rest of my body.

"What the fuck" I say bringing my hands to my face. I look behind me to where the tackle came from and see Katie standing there looking shocked.

"Shit, y/n are you okay? " she says with a guilty look on her face as she bends down to me and brings her hands to my face.

I know she's a passionate player and sometimes it comes out as aggression but this is a training game against her team and she just tackled me, her girlfriend. there was no need for it.

My face contorts into an angry expression and I pull her hands off my face.

"Get off" i mumble, standing to my feet trying to ignore the pounding in my head and walk away from her, back to my position.
I wave the medics off, telling them I'm fine.

Leah comes over and wipes the small stream of blood escaping the cut that is just above my cheekbone. I give her a small smile and thank her.

I can't help feeling annoyed at Katie, I know she probably didn't mean it but it was an unnecessary tackle and it was on me. Katie rarely talked me in training because she always says she doesn't want to hurt me. So this behavior is very contradictory from her.

I avoid her for the rest of training, trying to focus solely on what the trainers are saying and ignoring the throbbing in my cheek.

-

I'm the first one into the changing room and the first one in the shower. I knew I would have to face Katie soon because we drove to training together but I wanted to delay it for as long as possible.

I do feel a bit bad at the way I reacted. throughout training she kept sneaking glances at me, her face full of worry. I'm sure she regrets doing it, but she still did it and I'm still mad.

I take longer than expected in the shower, the warm water soothing my aching muscles after a strenuous training session and my headache.

Finally, i get out of the shower, changing into a hoodie and joggers to warm myself up. I make my way into the changing room, expecting it to be empty but Katie is sat on the bench patiently waiting for me.
When she she's me, she gives me a small smile making my heart ache. I know she didn't mean to hurt me and I can see just by looking at her face how sorry she is.

I gather my things, waiting until we get into our car to talk to her.

I climb into the passenger seat, Katie getting into the drivers seat but she doesn't start the car.

She turns her body to face my own and I copy her actions.

"I'm really sorry y/n, I didn't mean to hurt you. That's the last thing I ever want to do. It was a stupid decision, i let my competitiveness take over and I hurt you, I'm really sorry" she says with a shaky voice, clearly very sorry for her misjudged action.

"It's okay, I know you didn't mean it, just try and be carful next time, it was just training, it wasn't that serious okay?" I say with a smile. She returns the smile and i peck her lips as a way to prove I forgiven her.

When we pull away I watch as her eyebrows furrow and her hands gently hold either side of my face. She looks closely at the cut on my cheek.

"Does it hurt?" She says, averting her eyes from the small cut to meet my eyes.

"Just a little, but I'll survive" I say giving her a reassuring smile.

She kisses underneath the cut lightly, carful not to hurt me further and then turns back into her seat and starts the car.

We get home and I sit on the sofa, feeling very tired. Katie goes into the kitchen and then emerges a few minutes later with a cup of tea in her hands. She passes it to me and gives me a kiss on the head

"I'll start dinner" she says as she walks back into the kitchen.

'I should let her tackle me more often is this is how I'm treated after' I think to myself as I let out a soft chuckle sipping my tea. I bring my attention to the tv, watching the movie that's playing quietly while the smell of delicious food fills my nose.

I'm finding it hard to think of ideas for this story so would appreciate any suggestions, hope you enjoy this. <3