Chapter 4

I smile and take a deep breathe. I don't think I'll ever get used to the smell of fresh air. Finn walks over picking a bright purple flower and put it behind Octavia's ear. I smirk and roll my eyes follow behind them.

"Now that, my friend, is game." Jasper tells Monty focusing on Finn.

"That, my friend, is poison sumac." Monty laughs following the rest of us.

"What? It is?!" Octavia quickly smacks the flower out from behind her ear. I laugh with the rest of them patting Octavia on the back,

"Calm down. They're not actually poisonous,"

"Hey guys, will you try to keep it up?"

"Come on Clarke. How do you block all this out?" Finn says stopping.

"Well, it's simple I wonder, 'why haven't we seen any animals?' Maybe it's because there are none. Maybe we've already been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. Sure is pretty though," she fakes a smile before turning and walking once again.

I follow her steps and hear Octavia mutter, "someone should slip her some poison sumac."

It wasn't much longer until Finn started up another conversation. "I've got to know what you two did to get busted."

Monty and Jasper both look at each other knowingly. "Sumac isn't the only herb in the garden, if you know what I mean," Monty sighs.

"Someone forgot to replace what we took,"

"Someone has apologized, like, 1,000 times." I laugh at their back and forth banter. There was something different about the two and I know I will be good friends with them.

"Elena?"

My steps hesitate and I feel my heart skip a beat. Why I did to end up here was something I did not want to talk about.

"You know, the usual crap. Just didn't like rules so I didn't follow them." I smirk and pick up my pace.

"How about you Octavia? What'd they get you for?"

"Being born," she tells us grudgly walking away.

"That was so not game," I smirk at both of them.

-

"You know what I'd like to know? Why send us down after 97 years?" Finn questions walking the trails.

"Who cares? I'm glad they did. I woke up rotting in a cell and now I'm swinging in a forest," Octavia swings on a tree, but frowns when she doesn't catch Finn's attention.

"The Ark is dying," I stop walking at her words. Dying? As in dead?

"At the current population level there's roughly 3 months of left support left. Maybe 4 now that we're gone." she finishes.

"That's the secret they locked you up to keep? Why they floated your old man?" Finn wonders out loud.

Well that's a little harsh.

"We were gonna go public, when Wells.."

"What, turned in your dad?"

"Anyway, the guard showed up before we could. That's why today. That's why it was worth the risk. Even if we all die, at least they bought themselves more time,"

"They're gonna kill more people, aren't they?" Finn asks suddenly.

"Sounds like something the council would do if you ask me." I mutter.

"Good. After what they did to me, I say float them all," Octavia groans.

"You don't mean that. We have to warn them,"

"That's what my father said." Clarke looks passionately at Finn.

"Oh, damn, I love Earth," Jasper sighs looking off.

Octavia stands in her underwear and tank top on the edge of a small cliff. She suddenly dives into the water below.

"Oh! Holy, Octavia, what the hell are you doing? Octavia we can't swim!" Clarke yells trying to stop her.

"I know, but we can stand." She stays in the water pushing her hair back.

"Wait. There's not supposed to be a river here." Clarke looks confused by the large body of water.

"Well, there is. So take off your damn clothes," Finn laughs stripping of his jacket.

I notice the water behind her moving quickly and the panic sets in.

"Octavia, get out of the water now! Someone get her out! Hurry up!" I yell rushing to the water side taking off my dark jacket.

"What the hell is that? We have to help her!"

Her scream is cut off when she is suddenly dragged under water.

"Hey, throw one of those rocks in the water to distract it!"

Me and Clarke push one of the larger rocks into the clear water and the creature lets go of Octavia's leg. Jasper jumps into the water trying to drag her to surface. I feel my jeans get wet as I rush into help.

Finally getting them out of the water Octavia takes one look at her bloody leg before wrapping her arms around Jasper's neck. I lean back against a rock and sigh in relief. That was eventful.

"How about from now on he try to not get eaten?" I ask and Monty and Jasper let out soft laughs.