Chapter 17

"Keep looking, it's got to be here somewhere." I say rushing my hands through the water. Looking for this damn radio to save the people of the ark, which isn't something I thought I'd be doing.

"I found it!" Someone yells from the side holding the radio in the air.

Raven grabs it inspecting it, "Its fixable. Maybe. But it'll take half a day just to dry out the components to see what's broken."

"Like I said, it's too late." Bellamy says looking down.

"Do you have any idea what you did? Do you even care?" Clarke yells glaring at him.

"You asked me to help. I helped."

"Hold up," Raven says looking thoughtful,  "We don't have to talk to The Ark. We just have to let them know we're down here, right?"

"Yeah, but how do we do that with no radio?" I ask looking at her confused. She smirks obviously knowing something we are all clueless about.

-

"Finn, get that control panel to camp. You, pull out those firing circuits in one piece or they won't work," Raven orders trying to make her act of communication work.

"Clarke, can I have a hand? Work these bolts here gently. Rocket fuel likes to go boom. We're going to need power to fire," she mutters looking around.

"They're tying in the batteries on the dropship.
Should be ready when we get there." I tell her.

"Great." She says her eyes on the ground.

"So, what's the problem?" Raven says looking to Clarke.

"Nothing. I just, well, if we get the rockets to launch, will they see them from The Ark?" She asks looking nervous.

"Like the good book says, it's all about burn time and cloud cover. But I know your mom will be watching.
I've never seen anyone love someone the way she loves you. You know that, right?" She says and I feel my hands slowly stop tying the wires.

"I did." She says lowly working the bolts.

-

The rockets flare red into the sky as I stand staring up at them. I take a deep breathe and hope for any innocent lives on the ark these rockets work. I hope Abby sees them.

"Do you think you could wish on this kind of shooting star?" Clarke asks from my left.

"What?" Bellamy says from my right.

"Forget it,"

"I hope you can," I mutter looking up.

"What would you even wish for?"

I feel Bellamy's hand slide into mine and I squeeze his. I lean my head on his shoulder lightly keeping my eyes on the sky.

I hope you can.