Chapter 40

"You know the first thing I'm going to do when I get to the beach?" Miller asks the blonde kid walking next to him. I roll my eyes and continue walking with my gun ready. "Go surfing,"

I turn back to them and give them a look, "First, as if you even could. Second, shut up and keep your eyes open. This isn't a friendly walk in the park."

We all stop as Octavia lifts her arm. I try to follow her gaze, but I don't see anything. I slowly creep up till I'm next to her, "Hey, what's wrong? I'm not seeing what you're seeing."

She shakes her head slightly still focusing on one area. Then in the distance I spot something coming towards us, almost like a bird. I jump back when it suddenly embeds itself into the blonde kid's head.

A throwing blade.

I raise my gun and try to spot where exactly it came from.

"Grounders!" Jasper yells alerting the group and also raises his gun.

We all turn and return to the only place we know is safe. Bellamy pulls open the gate and I start pushing kids inside as fast as I can, "Move, move! Get inside the gate now!"

After the last few stragglers, Bellamy grips my arm and drags me in. He forcefully shuts the gate and I suck in a deep breath of air.

I climb up on the wall and raise my gun. I look around ready to be faced with hundreds of Grounders, but instead all I see is trees. Bellamy and Clarke follow me, "Where are they? Why are they not attacking?"

"Because we are doing exactly what they want us to do.." Clarke realizes as she turns around to Finn, "Lincoln said the scouters would be the first to arrive."

Octavia joins in with her game face on and sword ready, "If it's just scouts we can fight our way out. That's what Lincoln would do,"

"We're done doing what that Grounder would do. We tried it and now Drew is dead. You want to be next?"

Finn jumps in and I roll my eyes. God forbid we actually had a calm discussion about our fate. "That grounder saved our lives. I agree with Octavia. For all we know there is one scout out there."

I scoff and point to Drew, who is currently laying on the ground dead, "One with extremely good aim. Which by the way, killed one of us already and we still have no idea where he is."

"Looking to you, Clarke. What's it gonna be?"

We all stare up at Clarke awaiting her answer.

She turns and looks out over the gate before sighing and jumping down. Finn quickly grabs her arm, "Clarke if we're still here when Tristan gets here-"

"Lincoln said 'scouts'. More than one. He said, 'get home before the scouts arrive'. Finn, they're already here." She turns quickly and gives Bellamy a look. "Looks like you've got your fight."

"Okay, this is what we have been preparing for! Kill them before they kill us! Gunners to your posts, use the tunnels to get in and out! From now on the gate stays closed."

I watch as the teenagers around me scatter and find where they are supposed to be. I stare down at the gun in my hands and take a deep breath. This is really happening. I grip it tight and close eyes briefly. We are going to kick ass.

We have to.

We all gather in the dropship to figure out our plan of attack. Or defense. Whatever.

"We've got 25 rifles, with 20 rounds each, give or take. Roughly 500 hundred rounds of ammo. While you to were gone we made some improvements. Thanks to Raven, the gully is mined."