Chapter 9

"Hold him still!" Clarke yells using the heated knife to cut away the infected flesh in Jasper's chest. I push his legs down even harder trying to keep his squirming to a minimum.

"Stop it! You're killing him!" Octavia says urgently coming up to the table.

"She's trying to save his life," Finn explains still holding Jasper's now still body.

"She cant," Bellamy tells us coming up from the latter.

"Great, Mr. Optimistic. Thanks for your input, now leave." I roll my eyes checking Jasper's pulse.

Wells stands chest to chest with Bellamy trying to be intimidating. "Back off,"

"We didn't drag him through miles of woods to give up," Clarke says still leaning over him.

"Kids a goner. If you don't see that you're deluded. He's making people crazy."

"Sorry if Jasper is bothering you and 'your people', but this is not the Ark. Down here, every life matters," I say stepping up to him.

"Take a look at him. He's a lost cause," I sigh shaking my head. Grade A leader here.

"Octavia, I've spent my whole life watching my mother heal people. If I say there's hope, there's hope," Clarke say looking into her eyes.

Octavia still looks unsure, but as her eyes meet mine I smile and nod my head. She seems to relax before looking back to Clarke surely.

"This isn't about hope, it's about guts. You don't have the guts to make the hard choices. I do. If he's not better by tomorrow, I'll kill him myself," Bellamy says being the hard headed asshole he seems to be.

"Octavia, lets go."

"No, I'm staying here." she says and I smile proudly at her.

"What a power-hungry, self-serving jackass. He doesn't care about anyone but himself," I groan, "No offense." I finish giving Octavia a sorry look.

"Yeah. Bellamy is all that. But he also happens to be right," Finn says looking down at Jasper's injured body.

-

"Shhhh she's mine," Bellamy mutters before throwing his axe. It hits the tree a few feet away. That's when I notice the axe barley missed Charlotte's head.

"Oh, my god. What the hell are you doing out here?" I say walking quickly up to her.

"Who the hell are you?" Bellamy asks after the others went off to find the boat.

"Charlotte." she tells him looking at her shoes.

"I almost killed you.
Why aren't you back at camp?"

"Well, with that guy who was dying, I just I couldn't listen anymore,"

"There's grounders out here.
It's too dangerous for a little girl."

"Don't underestimate her.
She's not little," I smirk at her and she smiles right back.

"Ok, then. But you can't hunt without a weapon.
Ever killed something before?," She shakes her head no, "Who knows? Maybe you're good at it," he smiles and hands her a small knife.

It takes me a second to catch my breathe. Never thought I'd see the day Bellamy was actually decent to someone.

-
"What the hell is that?" I point to the yellow smoke now covering part of the sky. I take a few steps back and grab Charlottes hand.

It rapidly starts moving towards us and one of Bellamy's groupies starts yelling in pain as the smoke reaches him. Bellamy suddenly grabs my arm and pulls me.

"Run! Now! Get somewhere safe!" He yells at the group before we take off, his hand wrapped around my arm and my hand gripping Charlotte's.

"This way," he pulls us into a cave and we walk down the small opening before I collapse onto the stone floor. I suck air into my lunges and lean against the damp wall. Charlotte sits to my right and, to my surprise, Bellamy sits to my left. He looks down and his eyes roam from my head to my feet. "Are you alright?" He asks and, surprising me again, his concern looks honest.

I nod my head looking into his eyes, "Are you?"

He nods in response and next thing I know small arms are wrapped around my neck. I look down at Charlotte's small figure hugging mine. Not sure how to react I slowly put my arms around her.

The feeling was strange. I haven't hug someone in...5 years. I feel the slight sting of tears in my eyes but I blink before they could make an appearance.

Crying showed weakness. And weakness gets you killed.

"We should probably stay in here for the night. Not sure how long the smoke will last," Bellamy sighs taking off his coat for a blanket. Charlotte does the same and I shiver at the thought.

It was a warm day I hadn't thought about brining one with me. As Charlotte lays down on a small bed of stone I lean back against the wall and wrap my arms around myself. Shivering I close my eyes and attempt to sleep.

Suddenly I feel something on top of me and I'm much warmer. I open my eyes again and look down to see a large jacket covering me. I look at Bellamy and he's looking at his jacket already.

"Use it. I'll be warm enough in this. No need for you to freeze tonight." He says before laying on his side closer to Charlotte.

I smile lightly at the kind gesture and snuggle closer to the jacket. Ignoring the fact I could smell him on it and I wasn't complaining about it. I close my eyes and let my dreams over take me.