Chapter 18

"Have you seen Octavia?" Bellamy's asks urgently. I slowly shake my head no.

"No I haven't in a while," I stand up suddenly worried.

"Can you help me find her? I can't find her," I hear the panic in his voice and I nod my head.

Reaching my hand out I place it calmingly on his arm, "I'm sure she's in camp somewhere. Or the butterfly fields. You know she loves it there," I tell him.

"Okay, I'll-ill check there," he nods to himself.

"I'll go ask around if anyone's seen her," I turn going to Clarke's tent first. I slowly pull back the flap to see her laying down.

"Clarke?" I ask softly she quickly turns to me, "have you seen Octavia? No one can find her."

She shakes her head no and rubs her eyes, "No, I haven't seen her since yesterday. I'll help you look."

After checking the drop ship and a few more tents, I find Bellamy.

"Any luck?" I ask now extremely worried. She isn't anywhere here.  How can a girl just disappear?

"Hey, everybody, gather around and grab a weapon.
My sister's been out there alone for 12 hours. Arm up.
We're not coming back without her." He says his voice booming throughout camp.

My eyes catch Jasper nervously rubbing his hands together. I can't imagine the hesitation and fear he is feeling. I wouldn't want to go back out there again either.

"Hey, Jasper, you don't have to do this. You haven't left camp since we brought you back." I tell him worriedly. I know he hasn't left for a reason and doing this could make it worse.

"Elena, I can to do this. I need to do this." I nod my head accepting that. I know he holds a special place for our missing friend.

"We're going to need all the help we can get. A tracker. You should get Finn." I tell Bellamy. This plan to find Octavia could be extremely easy or horribly difficult.

"Finn! Get out here!" Bellamy's voice much have reached Finn's tent because not a second later I hear him yelling back.

"Alright, yeah I'm coming!" He climbs out of the tent. I notice his hair is shorter and I can't help but roll my eyes. I'm on team Clarke with this one.

"Hey, look at that." someone points to the sky and hundreds of small bright lights are falling to earth. I take a deep breathe realizing what it is.

"It's beautiful."

"It didn't work. They didn't see the flares," Raven says sounding devastated.

"A meteor shower tells you that?" Bellamy asks looking down.

"It's not a meteor shower, it's a funeral. Hundreds of bodies being returned to the Earth from The Ark.
This is Just what it looks like from this side." I tell him my eyes never leaving the small lights until they burn out.

"They didn't get our message. This is all because of you!" Raven yells and jumps to attack Bellamy.

"I helped you find the radio!" He defends.

"Yeah, after you jacked it from my pod and trashed it!" She yells again.

"Yeah, he knows. Now has to live with it. So let's just go. we have more important things to take care of. You can play the blame game later." I say holding her back from him.

"All I know is that my sister is out there and I'm gonna find her." He states turning to lead the group out of camp.

-

We've been walking for a while now and haven't really found anything. That is until we come to a hill and I flash my light to the bottom. I see a small book bag and I grab Bellamy's arm.

"Hey, isn't that Octavia's?" I ask trying to lean in and get a better look.

"Rope," he says and someone hands it to him. He ties it before throwing the rest and he starts makes his way down. Picking up the bag he yells, "It's hers!"

I grab the rope before carefully making my way down the hill. I jump and land on my feet next to him. One by one people come down the hill until all of us are here. I reach down to a small rock. I wipe my finger across it and pull back to see blood.

"That's hers too," Bellamy mutters crouching next to me.

"It's still fresh." I say before standing up. "This way," he tells us and we follow him through the dark woods.

My feet freeze and my body jolts to a stop. I don't know whether I should scream or turn and run. Or maybe I should scream AND run.

Skeletons and corpses hang from sticks in the ground. A scene that scream 'back the hell off'. There are torches somewhat lighting the way.

"Grounder territory," I mutter nervously. This is absolutely terrifying.

"If you want to go back then leave. My sister, my responsibility." Bellamy sighs before taking a step forward. A majority of the group turns back making their way back to camp. I step forward and stand next to Bellamy. He looks down at me surprised. "You're not going back?"

"Can't get rid of me that easily." I swallow nervously before walking straight into dead mans land. I must be absolutely crazy. I think I've gone mad.

-

The sun is now rising and Finn is crouching looking for Octavia's trail. "I think we lost it. We should backtrack," he murmurs before standing up.

"We're not going back," Bellamy's says forcefully.

"Hey, where's John?" I turn and notice one of the guys in the group now gone.

"I just saw him a second ago," Jasper mutters confused.

"Spread out. He couldn't have gotten that far." Before any of us could take a step a body falls from the tree landing right between us. I take a step back out of surprise.

I hear a branch snap and my eyes catch movement above us. You've got to be kidding me..

"They use the trees! Get the hell out here and run!" I yell as my feet start moving against the hard ground.

"We shouldn't have crossed the boundary." Someone complains, but all I notice is grounders surrounding us.

My legs burn as my feet are continuously pound against the dirt and I turn to avoid a tree. I notice I'm getting farther from the group but before I can change course something wraps around my ankle and pulls.

I gasp as I'm suddenly hanging upside down from the tree. Rope tight around my ankle. I curse as my head starts to pound from the blood rushing to it. You've got to be shitting me.

I look to the ground to see my knives. They must have fallen. My hands barley skim the ground and I start to sway back forth. Again, my fingers skim the handle of my knife.

Why was I born with such short arms??

Swinging again my fingers wrap around it. "Yes!" I mutter I quickly reach up and swipe at the rope but it doesn't cut.

Coming back down I see a large man in furs standing in front of me. I scream in panic before something hard hits against my head and everything goes black.