Chapter 32

I wipe the sweat from my forehead and continue to keep the meat cooking.

"Let's get this party smoking!" A kid walks in dropping more wood into the ever growing fire.

"You don't want the fire too big. So maybe just try to knock it down with some wet leaves." Octavia warns him looking at the fire warily.

"You get that from your boyfriend, Grounder Pounder?"

"Hey, shut the hell up and listen to her." I grunt tying up another piece of meat.

"She's right. A hot fire is not gonna preserve the meat as well." I look over at Murphy as he tries to defend Octavia. He has been trying to weave himself back into camp and I can't lie- he's been doing a pretty damn good job. Not that I actually trust the guy.

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse. Should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp." The kid sasses and continues to work.

"Your brother couldn't get you a better job? Would think anything would be better than working in the meat furnace." Murphy asks Octavia and I nod my head slightly.

"I'm pretty sure none of us want to work here," I tell him and I try to ignore the surprised look on his face at my response to him.

"Oh, probably. That just means someone else would have to do it." Octavia grunts and keeps working. I follow her lead not wanting to make conversation more than I have too.

Suddenly I see the flame flare up and I rush away pulling Octavia with me. "Get out!" I yell as the fire catches on to everything surrounding us. She runs out an I can hear shouts from the 100 all around us. I try to follow her, but Murphy steps in front of me.

"What are you doing?! Move!" He stands still for a more seconds before he grabs my arm and pulls me out. We both land on the ground and I cough the smoke out of my lungs. I look up to see we landed directly in front of Clarke and Bellamy.

Clarke pulls me up and I thank her quietly. She nods to Murphy while I just stare at him confused. Before I can think on it I turn and see the entire smoke house in flames.

Murphy runs forward, full of anger, towards the kid that keep feeding the fire, "This is all your fault! We told you it was too much wood!" His fist connects with the kid's face before he is pulled back.

"Get the hell away from me!"

"Hey! Hey! Hey, stop! Save it for the Grounders." Bellamy yells trying to contain the situation.

"He's right though. What are we even supposed to do? That was all the food." I tell him shaking my head.

I follow Clarke and Bellamy as they walk off.

"Any idea what happened?" Clarke asks.

"Murphy says that Del kept feeding the fire, mostly because Octavia told him it was a bad idea." Bellamy explains and we all stop walking.

"And we believe Murphy?"

"Sadly, I have to defend him. He's telling the truth and that kid is a prick, by the way." Bellamy nods in agreeing with me.

"We've have some wild onions and nuts in the drop ship. It's only enough to last us maybe one or two weeks. What's left here?" She nods to the burned meat on the ground.

"Nothing. It all burned."

"Then we have to hunt. Anyone we can spare goes out. We can't defend ourselves if we're starving." I agree and I'm ready to kill us some good cooking.