4

I jolt awake, momentarily disoriented by the plush, and unfamiliar surroundings. Then I realize it's my phone ringing - that obnoxious default ringtone blaring over and over. I scramble to find it in the messy sheets before finally grabbing it. "Hello?" I answer groggily, squinting at the harsh morning light filtering in.

"Oh my god, Catherine! You're alive!" It's Star's voice on the other end, frantic.

"Yes, I'm alive, I'm sorry I..." I start, but she cuts me off.

"We had to leave the party and we couldn't find you! No text, no nothing! We thought you got like, murdered or drugged or something!"

I can't help but laugh a little. "Star, I'm okay."

"Well then where the hell are you?" she demands.

"I...umm..." I hesitate, not sure if I should really tell her where I'm staying. "I'm actually at Damien's place."

There's a shocked pause on the other end. "No way! Get out! Catherine!"

I feel my face growing hot. "It's not like that! He just offered to let me stay in one of his guest rooms for the night, that's all."

"Uh huh, sure," Star says teasingly. "Way to go, girl! Bagging a sugar daddy on night one!"

"Star, I'm serious!" I protest. "I was exhausted, and he was just being nice, letting me crash here."

"Whatever you say, girl. Just don't forget to negotiate them terms and conditions!" She cackles loudly.

I roll my eyes and smile. "Anyway, I should probably get going soon. I'll catch up with you later?"

"You sure you wanna leave that sugar life so soon? Alright, alright, we're just happy you're safe, girl. See ya later!"

After hanging up, I take a deep breath and quietly slip out of the bedroom. I tiptoe down the hall, the carpet muffling my footsteps. I was too nervous yesterday to notice just how massive this place is. I make my way downstairs and there, sprawled out on one of the leather sofas in nothing but a pair of pajama pants, is Damien. His muscular chest and abs on full display, tan skin stretching over his defined ridges. Dark hair covers his chiseled pecs and trails down towards his navel in a thin line. Just the slightest glimpse of the V-line peeking out from the waistband of his pants is enough to make my mouth go dry.

I swallow hard, trying not to stare too hard at his half-naked body. Get it together, Catherine. I clear my throat to announce my presence. "Um, good morning."

Damien's eyes flick open lazily and he smirks at the sight of me. "Well, good morning, sleeping beauty. Come have a seat." He pats the couch cushion next to him invitingly.

I perch myself on the very edge of the couch.

"How'd you sleep?" Damien asks, his voice deep and rumbly.

"Really good, thank you" I say politely.

There's a pause before he speaks again. "You know, I don't think I actually caught your name last night."

"It's Catherine," I say simply, wondering if he just couldn't be bothered with asking last night.

"Ahh, Catherine," Damien repeats, almost purring out the syllables. "Beautiful name for a beautiful woman. And I'm sure you already know who I am."

Cocky.

I nod in acknowledgment. "Yes...I do and thank you again for letting me stay here. I really do appreciate it."

He waves a dismissive hand. "I'm a generous guy, especially when it's a fine thing like yourself in need of a place to stay."

Something about his tone makes me squirm inwardly. This guy clearly doesn't miss a beat when it comes to working his undeniable charms.