41

The cop leans back in his chair, a smug grin stretching his face as he eyes me like a cat toying with a mouse. "Alright, Mrs. Caine," he drawls, flipping open a notebook. "Let's start with the basics. How long have you known Mr. Caine?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, settling for a bored sigh instead. "Long enough."

The cop's grin doesn't falter, but I can see the irritation flash in his eyes. "Is that so? Then maybe you can explain his involvement with known members of organized crime groups?"

I shrug, picking at a loose thread on my jeans.

The cop stares at me from across the table, his eyes narrowed and his mouth set in a thin, angry line. "Are you aware of Damien Caine's involvement in drug trafficking?"

I blink at him, my face a mask of wide-eyed innocence. "Drug trafficking? Heavens no, Officer. Damien's a businessman, not a pharmacist."

The cop's teeth grind together so hard I can practically hear the enamel cracking. "What about his association with known members of the Demonios cartel? We have photos placing him at the scene of several meetings with high-ranking members."

I shake my head. "No idea."

"Okay then...what about Rome Caine?" The cop presses, leaning forward. "We have evidence linking him to multiple instances of assault, extortion, and racketeering."

I gasp, my hand flying to my chest in mock outrage. "No, no, that can't be right. Rome's a sweetheart, he rescues kittens from trees and volunteers at the local nursing home in his spare time."

The cop's jaw ticks, his hand tightening around his pen. "Mrs. Caine, I advise you to take this seriously."

I lean forward, mirroring his posture with a mocking smile. "Okay...let me spell this out for you. I. Don't. Know. Jack. Shit. About. Shit."

The cop's face goes red, his mouth twisting into an ugly scowl. "Listen here, you little-"

"Am I being detained? Or am I free to leave?" I say smiling, my voice ringing out clear in the cramped little room.

The cop looks like he's about to blow a fuse, his face turning an alarming shade of red. But he knows he's beat, knows he can't force me to be here any longer. "You are free to leave," he spits, slamming his notebook shut with a snap. "Have a good day. But just know, Mrs. Caine - this isn't over."

I step out of the police station, my heart still pounding and my nerves frayed. I keep my head on a swivel, scanning the surrounding area for any signs of trouble.

I pull out my phone and dial Luis's number. He picks up on the second ring. "What's up, kid?"

"Damien was arrested. I need a ride, can you send someone to come get me?"

There's a second of silence on the other end, followed by a heavy sigh. "Fuck! Alright, yeah. I'll have one of my guys swing by to pick you up."

︻デ═一

Luis is waiting for me in the main house, his arms crossed and his brow furrowed. "What the hell happened?"

I collapse onto the couch, my head in my hands. "They just barged into the hospital room and arrested him for drug trafficking."

Luis nods, his jaw tight. "I've been keeping tabs, making sure anything major gets swept under the rug..."

He pulls out his phone, already dialing. "I gotta get our lawyer on this."

I watch as Luis paces back and forth, his voice low and urgent as he speaks to the lawyer.

After what feels like forever, Luis hangs up the phone. "They're holding Damien without bail, citing him as a 'flight risk'. The lawyer's working on getting an appeal to that decision, but it's gonna take some time."