43

I've been cooped up in this house day after day while Damien goes off to his super-secret meetings and I'm starting to feel like a prisoner.

Damien comes into the bedroom, adjusting his cufflinks with that serious look on his face. I know exactly where he's heading. And I'm tired of playing the dutiful wife, waiting around for him to come back home and fill me in on a need-to-know basis.

"Another meeting?" I ask, my voice dripping with annoyance.

Damien sighs, running a hand through his hair. "It's not just a meeting, Cat. It's an event at the Odyssey, an important one. I need to be there, to show my face and make sure everything goes smoothly."

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. "Right. And let me guess, I'm supposed to just sit here and wait for you to come home?"

"Don't start this again, Cat. You know why you can't come. It's too stressful, especially now with the baby-"

"Oh, spare me the bullshit," I snap, cutting him off. "I'm pregnant, not made of glass."

Damien opens his mouth to argue, but I'm already pushing past him, "You know what? Fine. Go to your little event."

I don't give him a chance to respond before I slam the bedroom door behind me.

I wait until I hear Damien's car pull out of the driveway before I make my move. Pulling out my phone, I dial a number I haven't called in way too long.

"Wow! Look who finally remembered she has friends!" Star's voice is warm and teasing, and I feel guilty for how M.I.A I've been.

"I know, I'm sorry. Things have just been...complicated," I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "But hey, I was thinking, you wanna hit up a club tonight? Just like old times?"

Star's squeal of excitement is so loud, I have to hold the phone away from my ear. "Bitch, do you even have to ask? I'm so down! Where are we going?"

I grin, "Meet me at the Odyssey in an hour. And...let's keep this between us, okay? Damien doesn't exactly know I'm going out."

Star makes a noise of understanding. "Ah, sneaking around on the hubby, huh? I got you, girl. My lips are sealed."

An hour later, I'm stepping out of Luis's car, followed by two of his security guards. Star's waiting for me outside the club, bouncing on her heels. She lets out a squeal when she sees me, pulling me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Damn, bitch! You're glowing!" she gushes, holding me at arm's length to get a good look at me.

"Well, actually...I'm pregnant," I say smiling.

Star's eyes go wide, her mouth dropping open in shock. "Shut the fuck up! Oh my god, congratulations!"

We head into the club arm in arm, the bass vibrating through the soles of my feet as we make our way to the dance floor.

I lean in close to Star, raising my voice to be heard over the music. "I need to keep a low profile tonight, Damien's here and he can't know that I'm here."

Star snorts, rolling her eyes. "Girl, have you seen yourself? Ain't no way you're keeping a low profile. Every head in this place is gonna turn when you walk by."

I just smile at that. God, I've missed her.

We hit the dance floor, losing ourselves in the music and the haze of bodies moving around us. For a little while, I let myself forget about the stress. Right now, in this moment... I'm just a girl out with her best friend, dancing like nothing else matters.

We're lost in the music, letting the beat pulse through our veins as I move to the rhythm. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. But then, as I'm spinning around, I spot Damien.