18

Then

"An amusement park? Is this where we are going?" I asked looking at the huge sign. Christian affirmed by flashing me his conventional grin that puts his dimples on display. One I've found myself getting used to and looking forward to see.

"Come on" I was gawking at how big and colourful the place was that I didn't realize Christian was already at my side, with the car door opened.

"Thanks" I hadn't even been inside yet the outside was so attractive. Soon we were in and I couldn't help but stare in astonishment. The place had people, both young and old crawling in and out. I find myself instinctively moving closer to Christian as we made our way slowly around. There were just too many people at a particular place than I was used to. Even in college, I avoided such places as much as I could.

"Hey, you okay?" Christian voice drew me back.

I nodded. "Everything is just so beautiful here and...fun looking" Soon I was immersed in the infrastructures surrounding the park. Those distracted me.

"Loads of fun awaits us. I was thinking we hit the climax first and then come down from our high with other simpler rides or we just start slow and build up the fun. Or I could just ask, is there anything you want to try first?" Christian made us halt.

I took in the environment once more. So many rides and games to choose from. My jaw dropped at how high the rollercoasters were and the rate at which they moved, screams and laughter here and there. There was no way I was ever getting on one of those.

Let's just stick to the less complicated rides, Dorathy.

I shrugged, smiling "I wouldn't know Christian. I've only heard about amusement parks, never been to one until now" I explained, still looking around. Neither Dad nor Mom took us to places such as these. The only thing we ever did as a family occasionally was eat at a fancy restaurant or go shopping with mom if she had the time. Mom. I missed her and this place was a reminder on how much we missed out on, especially Dina. So many lovely families out here. Christian stared at me, his eyes filled with what seemed like adoration?

"The more reason why we should make your first time here a memorable one. How about the carousel?" I traced his finger to where some kids and a couple of adults were enjoying horse rides. I could do that. I nodded.

He placed out his palm, gesturing for me to take it. I looked it at longer than I should.

We're just holding hands. We're just holding hands.

Eventually I placed my hand in his, relishing in the warmth it brought. I placed the strap of my small bag across my neck as we made our way towards the carousel. Soon we were on the ride, coupled with Christian's goofy expressions and jokes, I was already having so much fun.

"I hope you're having fun?" Christian asked as we emerged from yet another ride in the last one hour or so. I nodded enthusiastically feeling genuinely happy.

"I'm so glad you are" He finally pulled off the wrapper from the candy he bought from the stall close to the last ride we had. "Here" He handed me one while he popped one into his mouth.

"Thanks" He left my side to help an older woman struggling to climb up a precipitous place. I smiled at the gesture.

"Thanks sugar" She grunted yet her eyes shone with so much appreciation "Them knees are at it with full force today"

"You should rest up. There's a bench over there" Christian suggested pointing at a seating area "I'll walk you"

"Oh I will but after I get to my granddaughter. I can manage just fine, don't you worry son. Bless your heart" She patted his arm and left.